KSU College of the Arts Strategic Plan: 2008 - 2013
The mission of the KSU College of the Arts is to provide an outstanding arts education that prepares students to be locally and globally engaged artists, scholars, educators, and citizens. Towards this end, the College offers liberal arts and professional arts degrees that honor tradition alongside innovation, fuses theory and practice, and promotes integrity, discipline, arts advocacy, and leadership.
The College values vitality and significance alongside excellence in teaching and learning and promotes the arts as essential to individual growth and community building. These ideals inform all curricular and co-curricular programming and community collaborations, and drive the College’s activities in the following directions:
o Promoting global thinking and arts integration with a world rich in ethnic, cultural, and intellectual variety
o Honoring tradition while being responsive to changing artistic trends and evolving community concerns
o Connecting theory and academic inquiry with the practical needs of the professional world
o Actively encouraging interdisciplinary, cross campus, and community collaboration, service learning and volunteerism
o Cultivating creativity, innovation/experimentation, and visionary thinking
o Promoting flexibility and receptivity to change
o Providing curricula for the general education program and COTA majors in which students examine elements of performing and visual arts and investigate the ways in which they deepen our understanding of humanity.
GOALS AND ACTION STEPS
University Goal 1- “To enhance and expand academic programs and delivery”
College of the Arts Goal 1—“To enhance COTA academic programs and delivery while maintaining the highest standards of excellence”
1. Increase faculty and lecturer positions to address the quality, significance and expansion of degree programs, curricula, and growth in the student body.
2. Broaden and implement international programming, opportunities, and curricula fully implementing the Quality Enhancement Plan: Global Learning for Engaged Citizenship.
3. Increase support for faculty and staff professional development.
4. Ensure support for faculty development that uses technology for teaching, research and creative activities and scholarship, including online courses.
5. Strategically develop new courses, interdisciplinary and graduate level programs that meet local community, state, and national needs and are connected to available resources.
6. Increase online and on-site library holdings.
University Goal 2 - “To improve retention, progression, and graduation rates while maintaining high quality”
College of the Arts Goal 2 -“To improve College of the Arts recruitment, retention, progression, and graduation rates while maintaining vitality and excellence”
1. Institute mandatory advising for all COTA majors.
2. Develop a plan to enhance the diversity of COTA students.
3. Build effective partnerships with central offices to increase COTA's recruitment, retention, progression, and graduation efforts.
4. Develop effective data infrastructure to track prospective and current students.
5. Improve communication with continuing students using current technology.
6. Develop a plan to increase admission standards for COTA programs.
7. Develop a plan to identify and assist at-risk students.
University Goal 3 – “To expand campus resources and enhance campus infrastructure”
College of the Arts Goal 3 - “To enhance resources and infrastructure to support COTA programs”
1. Expand infrastructure supporting quality COTA programming.
2. Identify and secure external and internal funding.
3. Coordinate fundraising efforts between the University, College, and Departments.
4. Create a master plan for space allocations for existing and new programs.
5. Increase administrative and technical support for COTA programs and spaces.
6. Increase equipment to support programs and spaces.
7. Increase resources to market College of the Arts programs to the campus and surrounding community.
University Goal 4 – “To enhance student life activities and prepare students to be leaders”
College of the Arts Goal 4 - “To enhance student life activities through vital and significant arts experiences that prepare/cultivate students to be globally engaged citizens and leaders.”
1. Design arts activities that promote student leadership and engagement in arts advocacy and community action.
2. Increase student participation from across the campus (as artists and audiences) in College of the Arts exhibitions and performances.
3. Foster student leadership and participation in on- and off-campus arts organizations.
4. Increase professional placement opportunities for students that promote leadership skills and engagement in arts scholarship and advocacy.
5. Increase promotion and delivery of international and intercultural arts activities for College of the Arts students.
6. Increase student participation in study abroad experiences relative to arts activities, appreciation and advocacy.
7. Seek, promote, and implement faculty and student collaboration with community groups on arts and social change activities.
University Goal 5 – “To improve service, strengthen accountability and establish a
stronger sense of community”
College of the Arts Goal 5 — “To strengthen COTA’s accountability and develop stronger ties with multiple internal and external communities”
1. Develop effective Assurance of Learning programs to improve COTA Student Learning Outcomes.
2. Develop and enhance COTA partnerships and communication with other KSU departments and academic units.
3. Develop partnership with University Diversity Committee to enhance diversity of COTA personnel.
4. Create a college culture that assures an appreciation of diversity and ethical behavior as an integral part of the arts.
5. Increase campus, local, and regional community accessibility to and participation in nationally and internationally recognized artist activities at KSU.
6. Integrate COTA activities and events into the campus-wide calendar.
7. Review and modify COTA programs maintaining the highest professional standards of its accrediting agencies NASAD, NASM, NAST, NASD, and NCATE.
University Goal 6 – “To promote an inclusive campus environment through the adaption of policies, procedures, and curricula that are guided by the principles of diversity, equity, transparency and shared governance”
College of the Arts Goal 6 – “To promote inclusion in all activities of the College of the Arts (COTA), generate engagement in diversity and equity endeavors among all COTA constituencies, and engender the modeling of broad diversity in our public presentations and outreach”
1. Integrate the work of the COTA Diversity & Equity Committee with the KSU Office of Diversity to continue the dialogue on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
2. Promote COTA diversity events including workshops, professional development opportunities, presentations and/or performances on the campus and throughout the local community.
3. Foster a college culture that values diversity and respect as integral to the arts.
4. Develop campus and community partnerships to support COTA diversity and equity initiatives and scholarships.
5. Recognize accomplishments in diversity and inclusion through the promotion and annual performance review of staff, faculty, and administrators.
6. Continue COTA Diversity Committee activities:
o To recommend best practices of diversity and equity in the recruitment, retention, and advancement of students, staff, faculty, and administrators.
o To develop a plan to monitor COTA progress on diversity and equity goals, plans, and action steps.