hall: subsequent reference to a named hall.
- First reference is full name of hall.
- See Concert Hall.
- When referring to the Steinway D concert piano donated by Bobbie Bailey in honor of Henry Steinway, always enclose in quotation marks and specify the name as a nickname <The “Miss Mary” concert D piano, nicknamed for Bailey’s late mother, and the “Hank” concert D piano, nicknamed for Henry Steinway, were part of the $1.75 million gift Bailey made to COTA.>.
- Pluralize nouns to avoid this forward-slash construction <The students say they will agree to have their artwork in the exhibition. The students should submit their applications to the registrar’s office.>. (AP)
Henriquez Atrium: subsequent reference to the Anna F. Henriquez Atrium.
- Use complete name upon first reference.
- Acceptable to use when referring to people from Spanish-speaking countries.
- “Latino” and “Latina” can be used instead of Hispanic based on the person’s preference. (AP)
homosexual (noun and adj.)
- Use “gay” or “lesbian” instead. (AP)
- See homosexuality, gay and lesbian.
- Use this term when referring to the state of being gay or lesbian. (AP)
- See homosexual, gay and lesbian.
- Use “Dr.” before the complete name of a person with an honorary doctorate. AP style employs other guidelines.
Howard Logan Stillwell Theater
- Use complete name upon first reference; subsequent reference is “Stillwell Theater.”
|Home| # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W XYZ