Selection Process and Timeline
2013 Foundation Prize for Publication
Selection Process and Timeline
As part of its effort to encourage, support, and recognize original scholarship among tenure-track faculty, the Kennesaw State University Foundation has established The Foundation Prize for Publication to acknowledge high quality publications by Kennesaw State University faculty. The Foundation Prize for Publication will consist of an award, cash prize, and funds for support of scholarship. The following describes the process and criteria for selecting Foundation Prize for Publication winners.
1. Academic College Deans will form College Selection Committees. These may be existing awards selection committees, or committees formed exclusively for the purpose of selecting Foundation Prize for Publication finalists.
2. The KSU Foundation will form a selection committee. The Foundation Prize Selection Committee will be comprised of four members from the Foundation, the Associate Provost, and three representatives from the KSU faculty.
3. Faculty members may self-nominate one publication, or have one nominated by a colleague. Nominations should be forwarded to the College Selection Committee. Proceedings articles or presentations are not eligible for this award.
4. The College Selection Committee may consider only one publication per faculty member. A KSU faculty member may be an author or coauthor on only one publication, performance, or exhibit submitted for review. In the case of multiple authors, where authors represent different Colleges, the authors may submit to one College Selection Committee only. Submissions of multiple-authored publications should contain a description of the submitting authors' contribution to both the scholarship and the actual publication. In the case that the publication is coauthored with colleagues at other institutions, only faculty members from KSU will receive the award.
5. If a College nominee is not selected for an award in a particular year by the Foundation Prize Selection Committee, the College Selection Committee may elect to resubmit the same nominee in subsequent years. Although past recipients of a KSU Foundation Prize for Publication are eligible to receive additional Foundation Prizes, a specific publication is eligible to receive only one Foundation Prize for Publication.
6. Faculty members will submit a copy of the publication (or appropriate representation of the publication, e.g. exhibit program or catalog, play bill, etc.) for consideration to the College Committee, along with supporting evidence of its significance and quality. Submissions will be due to College Committee by no later than February 22, 2013. ELECTRONIC SUBMSSIONS ARE ENCOURAGED.
7. Supporting evidence of significance and quality may include: (1) other awards received for the publication, (2) evidence of the quality and competitiveness of the publication outlet (impact scores, publication ratings/rankings, citations, acceptance/rejection rates, evidence that the publication is peer reviewed), (3) impact or potential impact of the publication itself, including practical applications, (4) independent reviews of the publication, (5) evidence of use/adoption of the publication by others (e.g., faculty, for- or non-profit organizations). Please note that because the Foundation Prize for Publication Selection Committee includes individuals who are not academics, your supporting evidence should include information on the impact of the article beyond a university audience. Supporting evidence is limited to 10 single-sided pages. It is the applicant's responsibility to demonstrate that the quality and impact of the article is worthy of a Foundation Prize for Publication.
8. Submissions for the 2013 award must have a 2010, 2011, or 2012 calendar year publication date.
9. The College Committee will select the top three (3) publications (not prioritized) and forward to the Foundation Committee for review. Colleges submitting fewer than two nominees will not be considered for a Prize.
10. The College Committee will forward to the Foundation Prize Selection Committee copies of all materials submitted in support of the top three publications (including the publication or appropriate representation of the publication), as well a brief justification for the selection of the publications chosen (i.e., why these publications were chosen over others submitted for review).. Materials should be forwarded by no later than April 12, 2013. Electronic submissions are encouraged. If materials are submitted in hard copy, the College Committee should forward a total of eight (8) copies of all materials submitted in support of each publication. These materials will not be returned to the faculty member.
11. Should a faculty member appointed to any of the selection committees have a publication under consideration, he/she will not participate in decisions regarding a nomination/award for which his/her publication is eligible.
12. The Foundation Prize Selection Committee may select up to one award winner per College. The Foundation Prize Selection Committee may or may not award Prizes to all Colleges.
13. Winners of the Foundation Prize for Publication from will receive a cash prize as well as a budget for travel, supplies and other research needs. The Foundation Prize for Publication will be awarded to KSU faculty only. Should a publication chosen be co-authored by KSU faculty, co-authors will equally divide the cash prize and budget.
14. The Foundation Prize for Publication will be awarded during the Fall 2013 opening of school faculty meeting. Faculty members must be under contract with KSU at the time that the award is presented (Fall 2013) in order to receive any part of the award.
Foundation Prize for Publication awards are representative of KSU's broad definition of scholarship. Previous Foundation Prize for Publication award winners are listed at:
Foundation Prize for Publication Timeline:
By February 22, 2013: Faculty members will submit a copy of the publication (or appropriate representation of the publication, e.g. exhibit program or catalog, play bill, etc.) for consideration to the College Committee, along with supporting evidence of its significance.
By April 12, 2013: The College Committee will forward to the Foundation Committee electronic or hard copies of supporting materials for the committee's top three choices for the Foundation Prize for Publication, as well a brief justification for the selection of the publications chosen.
Materials should be submitted to:
Dr. Teresa Joyce, Senior Vice Provost.
For more information contact Dr. Teresa Joyce ext 6023 or email firstname.lastname@example.org