Exercise Science Internships
Exercise Science students may elect to earn academic credit for internship experiences and may use this credit in the Major Field Elective area or the Free Elective area.
Students have two internships to choose from:
1. ES 3398 Internship in Exercise Science ES 3398 is an exploratory internship experience which provides students the opportunity to learn more about professions within the field of Exercise Science.
2. ES 4950 Exercise Science Senior Internship ES 4950 is a senior-level experiential course in which Exercise Science majors are given the opportunity to apply their academic knowledge and obtain new, advanced skills under the supervision of a highly qualified professional in the field.
- Prerequisites: 2.75+ KSU AGPA, proof of CPR certification, approval of department chair
- May be taken for between 1 and 3 credit hours
- Repeatable once
- Prerequisites: 2.75+ KSU AGPA, 90+ credit hours complete, ES 4500, ES 4550, proof of CPR certification, approval of department chair
- May be taken for between 3 and 12 credit hours
Credit Hour Selection
ES 3398 and ES 4950 are variable credit hour courses. Students must select the appropriate credit hours based on the number of credit hours needed to fulfill graduation requirements and the number of contact hours they expect to complete with the internship site.
Each credit hour equals 37.5 contact hours during the semester at the internship site.
Students who desire assistance in the internship search process should contact Career Services (https://careerctr.kennesaw.edu/) for an appointment. Career Services can assist with resume review, mock interviews, OwlLink, and how to search for opportunities.
Internship Course Application Process
Once an internship site has been selected, students must submit a completed Internship Application which requires the following:
- Application.: https://careerctr.kennesaw.edu/students/hhs-qualifications
Online application must be completed and submitted through the above link. Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Number of credit hours you are pursuing
- Exact start date
- Job Description
- Physical address where you will be working
- Supervisor’s full name and email address
All communication regarding your application will be sent to your KSU student email address.
- CPR Certification. Proof (i.e., photocopy) of current Adult Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation/Automated External Defibrillator certification (CPR/AED) from the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross, or equivalent (preapproval of other certifying agencies is required and the certification MUST include a practical exam, i.e., online certifications are not acceptable). The certification must be valid through the end of the internship. In rare cases where an internship site requires a specific certification (e.g., child, etc) or they provide in-house certification training, contact the Director of Internships for assistance. Proof of CPR certification should be emailed to the Internship Coordinator (email@example.com).
Application due dates are posted at the above application link. Failure to submit a completed application by the due date will result in the inability to register for ES 3398 or ES 4950.
Liability insurance is included as a $16 course fee for all students who enroll in ES 3398 or ES 4950. Coverage is effective for the term in which you are enrolled.
Internship Registration Process
Once an application has been approved, course registration will be opened for the student. Notification and instructions will be sent to the student’s KSU student email address.
It is the responsibility of the student to officially ADD the specific internship course during early registration through Owl Express. Here are three very important points regarding course registration:
- Owl Express will show the course (ES 3398 or ES 4950) as CLOSED. Students approved to register for internship will simply ADD the CRN for their specific course. An override will be provided to allow students to register for the “CLOSED” course.
- As noted earlier, the KSU registrationsystemwill default to 1 credit hour. Students are responsible for selecting more than 1 credit hour when appropriate.
- Students who intern at a location that is at least 50 miles from the KSU campus will be eligible for a waiver of certain institutional fees. This is a University System of Georgia Board of Regents Policy (22.214.171.124) and cannot be waived or amended by the Department of ESSM or KSU. You should notify the Director of Internships to receive more details if you believe you may qualify.
- It is imperative to understand; students must complete the application and course registration process during early registration; otherwise, they must select other elective courses (i.e., not ES 3398 or ES 4950) for the next semester.
Please be aware that most hospital and clinically-based sites require a written contract between the hospital and Kennesaw State University before you can begin the internship. All contracts to which Kennesaw State University is expected to be a signing party must be reviewed in the Division of Legal Affairs before being signed by a KSU authorized signatory and can require a month or longer to complete. See the Director of Internships for assistance. Also, many sites require extensive documentation (e.g., criminal background checks, vaccination records, blood tests, etc.); therefore, students must work directly with each internship site’s Human Resources Department to fulfill these requirements.