Contact Information


Dr. Kandice Porter

Department Chair


FAX 470-578-6561



Department of Health Promotion

and Physical Education

Kennesaw State University

Convocation Center

Mail Drop 0202

1000 Chastain Road

Kennesaw, GA 30144-5591



Advising Center

All students contemplating majoring in Health and Physical Education or pursuing either the Health Promotion or Coaching Minors should make an appointment to meet with Ms. Margaret Tilley, HPE Advising Center Coordinator, to discuss the program and declare their program of study. Appointments can be scheduled by e-mailing The Advising Center has two locations for student convenience: Convocation Center 3005 and Prillaman Hall 1011.


Once students have declared a major or minor in the HPE department, they will be assigned an Academic Advisor. Students majoring in Health and Physical Education and students minoring in Health Promotion will be assigned a Faculty Member as an Academic Advisor. Coaching Minor students will be advised by the Coordinator of the Coaching Minor program, Mrs. Susan Whitlock.


It is highly recommended that majors meet with their Academic Advisor every semester to select courses, discuss program admission and eligibility requirements, and apply for field experience courses. Failure to meet regularly with Academic Advisors is likely to result in difficulties selecting the proper sequence of classes, and ultimately, delaying program admission and graduation.

Please make an appointment with your Academic Advisor prior to the start of registration!


For more information regarding the academic programs in the Department of Health Promotion and Physical Education, please select below:


Health and Physical Education

Coaching Minor

Health Promotion Minor



Quick FAQs

  1. HPS 1000 - Fitness for Living - All course substitutions and override requests must be directed to the Advising Coordinator, Ms. Margaret Tilley (
  2. Course overrides (e.g., closed, prerequisite, etc) - Course overrides are rarely permitted. All requests must be initiated by contacting your Academic Advisor. Do not contact the department chair, faculty member teaching the class, or the advising coordinator because all override requests must be submitted by your Academic Advisor. Included in override request must be your KSU ID#, course CRN #, and reason for the request. With the waitlist process, unless a student is student teaching or graduating, overrides are unlikely to be approved.
  3. Course substitutions - Contact your Academic Advisor for all course substitutions.
  4. Academic Advisors - Your Academic Advisor is listed in Owl Express. If the advisor field is blank or reads "HPS Advising Center," please contact the Advising Coordinator, Ms. Margaret Tilley (