Students on college campuses are expected to manage their own schedules, materials and relationships. During orientation and the first week of fall classes Academy students will be given a planner, navigational maps, a tour of the campus, campus safety tips, contact numbers and basic “how to’s” for a successful campus experience. For the first week the Academy mentors will accompany students to classes, computer labs, lunch, and job shadowing experiences, providing direct support.
After week one, academy staff will be available by cell phone. Individual consultations or tutoring will be by appointment.
Academy students are encouraged to use available Academy student mentors for assistance and are expected to complete all assignments with their support.
Mini seminars will be recommended for Academy students, addressing issues related to student success. Topics may include:
- Campus Safety: How and when do I need help?
- Self-Advocacy: What is it? How/when do I use it?
- Social Interactions: What is or isn’t appropriate?
- When do I need help?: Situational examples
- Wellness: Handling stress, dating, or diet
- Stress Management: handling college demands
- Communication: Role playing situations
- Scheduling: Using planner/managing time/appointments
- Career Services: Interviewing, work behaviors, customer service
KSU Academy for Inclusive Learning, by design, focuses on independence through an inclusive campus program – encouraging social growth and development through real life college experiences.