Graduate Research Assistants
Each academic year, the Department of Exercise Science and Sport Management selects at least four students for Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) positions. These appointments can be for one or two semesters. GRA work assignments are with individual faculty members, in one of our research labs, or assisting with course instruction. Normally students are hired between June-August for Fall semester and October-January for Spring. Below is a list of frequently asked questions.
How do I determine if a GRA position is available?
The best place to begin is by marking your graduate application regarding your interest in a GRA position. Also, you can check on availability by asking the Graduate Program Coordinator. All GRA position openings are posted on KSU’s Human Resources website (www.kennesaw.edu/hr/). Select “Apply for Staff Openings” followed by “GRA Openings.” You can search all GRA positions, and you can apply for any GRA position on campus even outside of the AEHS program. GRA positions are normally posted around June and also October.
What are the requirements for a GRA position?
Based on Graduate College guidelines, a student must:
- have completed the requirements for an undergraduate degree,
- have applied for and been fully accepted to a graduate degree program of study,
- have maintained a 3.0 grade point average in any previous/current graduate course work,
- have maintained a 3.0 grade point average in any previous undergraduate course work if a first semester graduate program student,
- be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours (AEHS GRAs must take a mimimum of 9 hours per semester unless otherwise approved by the Graduate Program Coordinator), and
- have a social security number. International students with an F-1 visa are required to provide a copy of their current visa documentation as well as their current I-20 form, complete with a work authorization stamp from the Office of International Services and Programs. International students must have a social security number prior to being hired.
How many hours are GRAs expected to work each week?
GRAs are assigned to exercise science labs for upt to 20 hours per week for 17 weeks (per semester). GRAs cannot be employed in another position on the KSU campus.
What are the financial benefits of the GRA position?
GRA stipends range from $2,000 to $4000 per semester. Stipends are divided into five payments beginning in September for Fall and February for Spring. In addition, there is a tuition waiver for up to 24 credit hours per year.
Are GRA positions available in the Summer?
There are a limited number of summer GRA positions. Please contact the graduate coordinator for further information.
Is there anything else I should know?
Yes, each GRA pays a special tuition rate of $25 per semester. And, all GRAs are required to have health insurance. Students will be automatically billed for the mandatory health insurance fee at the time of registration. If you have personal health insurance, a waiver of the health insurance fee may be applied for directly with the insurer.