HPE Advising Info for Fall Cohort Admission
In order to be admitted to the Health and Physical Education (P-12) program, majors must apply to both the Bagwell College Teacher Preparation Program and to the Department of Health Promotion and Physical Education. It is recommended that majors arrange to meet with an advisor each semester to assure that are on track to apply for program admission. Both sets of applications are due between March 1-April 15 for acceptance into HPE Cohort that begins each fall.
In order to meet the minimum requirements for admission to Teacher Preparation programs, candidates must have
- Completed an online application
- Received a clear background check through CertifiedBackground.com (www.CertifiedBackground.com; package code KE61).
- Completed at least 45 semester hours of accredited college coursework.
- Any student who has taken courses at KSU must have achieved a 2.75 KSU adjusted or cumulative GPA. Transfer students eligible for program admission with NO courses taken at KSU must have a 2.75 Education Transfer GPA. Note that applicants with a 3.0 GPA or higher are guaranteed admission to teacher education provided they meet all other criteria, but those with a 2.75-2.99 GPA are not. Their admission is dependent upon further review by the BCOE.
- Completed ENGL 1101 and ENGL 1102 with grades of “C” or higher.
- Completed EDUC 2110* with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Received a positive faculty recommendation from EDUC 2110. Students transferring EDUC 2110 must provide a Supplemental Teacher Recommendation.
- Exhibited responsible, professional behavior in all classes, the field experiences, and interactions with peers and faculty; exhibited potential for success in the program.
- Passed or exempt from or GACE Program Admission Tests. A candidate who has scored either a 1000 on SAT or 43 on ACT is exempt from GACE Program Admission Exam (Scores based on Math and Reading/English only, not writing).
- Completion of the Georgia Educator Ethics-Program Entry Exam. For this you must create a MyPSC account on the GaPSC website and select “7” as your reason for testing to be eligible to take the exam. Registration information can be found in the link above.
- All teacher candidates are required to apply for Ga Pre-Service Teacher Certification. The two required documents can be downloaded from these links and the hard copies must be submitted to the Education Student Services, Kennesaw Hall Suite 1314:
- Been approved for admission by the applicant’s proposed degree program if there are additional admission requirements (i.e., Art Education, Foreign Language Education, Health and Physical Education, and Music Education). Consult those departments and program coordinators.
What are the HPE eligibility requirements?
In addition to the criteria for Admission to Teacher Education, the Health and Physical Education (P-12) Program requires that the following criteria also be met:
- Completed with a “C” or better: HPS/WELL 1000, HPE 2000, HPE 2050, HPE 2250 and either HPE 1560 or 1580
- Received a minimum letter grade of “C” in any required HPE major courses.
- Submitted three acceptable faculty recommendations,
- Submitted current completed course check sheet and course of study signed by your advisor.
- Exhibited responsible professional behavior in classes, field experiences and interactions with peers and faculty.
- Demonstrated interest in the field through participation in and contribution to majors' club and/or other professional activities.
- Expressed a desire to enter teacher education through a well-written personal narrative emphasizing experiences relevant to teaching.
*Submit a hard copy of your signed application, course check sheet and personal narrative to Ms. Whitlock. Recommendation forms should be given to HPE faculty, who will submit to Ms. Whitlock.
HPE Program admission application?.
This application must be completed and returned to the Chair of the HPE Program Admissions Committee, Ms. Susan Whitlock, on or before the date indicated below.
HPE Program Application ( Word / PDF )
HPE TEACHER EDUCATION