Recipe of the Month - April 2011
Quick Pasta Salad
Tired of peanut butter and jelly for lunch? Try making a batch of this colorful pasta salad for an easy and tasty meal option. Mix things up by using different vegetables like frozen peas, zucchini, green beans, and asparagus.
Makes 5 servings
- ½ (16-ounce) box whole wheat pasta
- ½ cup chopped broccoli
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- ½ purple onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup low fat Italian dressing
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions, about 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- While the pasta cooks, combine the broccoli, carrots, onion, and red pepper in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Combine the cooked vegetables and cucumber with the pasta. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour dressing over chilled pasta salad, tossing to coat.
225 calories, 8 g protein, 2 g fat, 7 g fiber, 615 mg sodium
To view our previous featured recipes, view the Recipe Archive.