Recipe of the Month - April 2012
Recipe of the Month- April 2012
Quinoa Salad with Apples and Almonds
This nutritious spring recipe is great for picnics, quick lunches, or an afternoon snack. Make it in advance and store in the fridge so that it is readily available when your body needs some fuel!
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup peeled, diced apple (this particular recipe suggested a tart apple, such as Granny Smith)
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- Coarse salt and pepper (optional)
- In a medium-size saucepan, combine the quinoa and water, then bring them to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl, stir, and let it cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lemon juice, and salt. Gradually whisk in the oil until blended.
- Add the apple, celery, raisins, parsley, and almonds to the quinoa and toss the ingredients well. Add the dressing and toss once more to coat the salad. Season it with salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts ( per 2/3 cup serving): Calories 206 – Total Fat 9 g – Saturated Fat 1 g – Sodium 194 mg – Total Carbohydrates 28 g – Fiber 3 g – Sugars 12 g – Protein 5 g
Source: By Kathy Farrell-Kingsley from FamilyFun magazine; available at familyfun.go.com
To view our previous featured recipes, view the Recipe Archive.