Recipe of the Month - December 2009
Recipe of the Month – December
Cozy Corn Chowder
Boost your vegetable intake with this wintertime classic! Bell peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C and the milk and cheese provide bone-strengthening calcium.
Ingredients (Makes 3 cups):
1 tsp. canola oil
½ medium onion, diced
½ red bell pepper, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
1 package frozen baby corn, thawed and divided
1 cup skim milk, divided
½ cup reduced-fat pepper jack cheese
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, red and green pepper, and half the thawed corn. Sauté 5-7 minutes until vegetables soften and begin to brown.
2. Meanwhile, place the remaining corn and ½ cup milk in a blender. Process until texture is smooth and creamy.
3. Add mixture to the cooked vegetables on the stove. Stir in remaining ½ cup milk, salt, black pepper, and cheese.
4. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until soup thickens and cheese melts.
5. Serve in bowls with an extra sprinkle of cheese or cooked turkey bacon (optional).
To view our previous featured recipes, view the Recipe Archive.