Recipe of the Month - December 2013
Cranberry Pistachio Energy Bites
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven (www.gimmesomeoven.com)
Yields: 30 - 1 inch balls
- 8 oz. (1 packed cup) chopped dates
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- Pinch of salt (~1/2 tsp)
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (dry, not cooked)
- 1 cup shelled pistachio nuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine dates, honey, chia seeds, flax seed and salt in a food processor, plusing until smooth and combined (should be able to stir mixture; if too thick, add 1-2Tbsp. more of honey).
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; stir in oats, pistachios, dried cranberries and white chocolate chips until evenly combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cool, use a spoon or cookie scoop to shape into desired size energy ball (~1-inch to make 30 balls). Alternately, you can line a small baking pan with parchment paper and press the mixture evenly into the pan. Let it cool then cut into bars.
- Store covered in refridgerator for up to 2 weeks.
To view our previous featured recipes, view the Recipe Archive.