Recipe of the Month - January 2012
Makes 10 servings
- Cooking spray
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans stewed whole tomatoes
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans (low sodium or no salt added)
- 1 (16-oz) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15-oz) can kidney beans (low sodium or no salt added)
- ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- Spray a large pot with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and green peppers and sauté until they just begin to brown.
- Add all of the canned ingredients, including the liquid from the cans, as well as the chili powder, cayenne, and cinnamon. (Alternative to using liquid from canned veggies: drain and rinse veggies before adding to pot, and then add ~ 3-5 cups of unsalted veggie stock to the pot of veggies). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for at least 30 minutes, or until the mixture reaches desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, topping with diced tomatoes and ¼ cup cheese, if using.
Nutrition per Serving:
Calories 150 – Fat 0.5 g – Fiber 8 g – Protein 8 g – Carbohydrates 31 g
Recipe adapted from Nimetz et al. The Healthy College Cookbook, 2008.
To view our previous featured recipes, view the Recipe Archive.