Recipe of the Month - May 2010
Not a fruit or veggie lover? Try sneaking them into this easy quick bread! Shredded zucchini has a mild flavor and works well in soups, sauces, and breads. Baking for one? Freeze leftovers and use for quick breakfasts and snacks.
3 eggs (or 6 egg whites)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
Makes 2 loaves. Serving size: 1/9 of a loaf or 1" slice.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with nonfat cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, canola oil, applesauce, sugar and vanilla. Beat ingredients with an electric mixer on low until thick and foamy.
- With the electric mixer set on medium speed, gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture until all ingredients are incorporated. Stir in the zucchini, walnuts, and pineapple until batter is thick and not runny.
- Pour ½ of the batter into each prepared pan. Bake for approximately 50 minutes (Test by inserting a fork. If fork comes out clean, the bread is done).
To view our previous featured recipes, view the Recipe Archive.