Recipe of the Month - November 2012
Whole Wheat Punkin’ Pancakes
Serving Size: Two 6-inch pancakes
Makes 6-8 pancakes
- 1 cup Hodgson Mill® Whole Wheat Insta-Bake Mix (regular pancake mix will also work, but the whole wheat mixes have more fiber)
- ½-1 cup skim, 1%, soy or almond milk (depending on how thick you would like your pancakes; for thinner pancakes use more milk; for thicker pancakes use less milk)
- 1/3 can canned pureed pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- Non-stick spray or 1 pat butter spread
- Optional: flax seed
- Preheat griddle to 360oF (medium heat) or skillet to medium heat; lightly coat with non-spray cooking oil or 1 pat butter spread
- Mix ingredients in a large mixing bowl until just blended. Let stand for 5 minutes
- Use 1/3 cup measuring cup to scoop pancake mix onto griddle or skillet (tip: spray the measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray and that will prevent any batter from sticking to the measuring cup when pouring batter onto griddle or skillet)
- Cook on one side until bubbles form on the edges then flip and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- Serve hot. Top with 1-2 Tbsp. syrup or honey and/or fresh fruit.
Place leftovers in a freezer bag removing as much air as possible. Place in freezer and use later for a quick breakfast down the road!
Recipe modified from Hodgson Mill® Whole Wheat Insta-Bake Mix box; available at www.hodsgonmillstore.com
To view our previous featured recipes, view the Recipe Archive.