Recipe of the Month - October 2011
Makes 4 servings
- 4 medium russet, red or yellow potatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow summer squash, sliced
- ½ pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce (try to choose one with the lowest amount of sodium as possible)
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prick potatoes all over with a fork, brush with ½ tablespoon of the oil and arrange on a small baking sheet. Bake until tender, 1- 1 ½ hours.
- When the potatoes are almost tender, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add zucchini, squash, mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender and golden brown, 6-8 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Split open potatoes, transfer to a baking dish and top with zucchini mixture. Pour marinara over potatoes then top with mozzarella. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, 2-3 minutes, then transfer to plates and serve.
* You don’t have to just stuff these potatoes with the yellow squash, mushrooms, onions, and zucchini. Pick and choose your favorite veggies to incorporate (bell peppers, butternut squash, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, etc.)
Nutrition Info (per serving): Calories 340 – 10 g total fat – 2.5 g saturated fat – 670 mg sodium – 53 g carbohydrates – 8 g dietary fiber – 12 g protein
Recipe adapted from Whole Foods Recipes iPhone application
To view our other featured recipes, view the Recipe Archive.