Click here to view the Newsletter on a browser

KSU Home EHS Home | Departments | Directory

zxc Vol 4 Issue #3/4 March/April, 2012

KSU Receives Air Permit

KSU has been issued an Air Quality Permit by the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (GA-EPD).  The permit is with regard to operation of our boilers, emergency generators, ovens, kilns, above ground storage tanks, fume hoods, paint booth and other potential sources of air pollutants. It establishes practically enforceable emission limits for the campus and sets terms, conditions, limitations and standards to be complied with. The permit effective date was January 19th, 2012.

Under the permit, KSU is required to control the amount of Nitrogen Oxides released into the air from combustible source to less than 25 ton per year. As a mean of enforcing the emission limit, the EPD has set limit and conditions pertaining to quality of fuel used on boilers, generator, ovens and kilns and also the manner and duration of running emergency generators. Department of Environmental Health and Safety is responsible for ensuring compliance with the permit and communicating compliance report to EPD.

We ask members of the university community to be cognizant of potential compliance requirement when purchasing or leasing, plants and equipment which consumes, fossil fuel. If you have any questions or need additional information relating to the Air Quality Permit, please contact Stephen Ndiritu, the campus Environmental Manager at 678-797-2410.



EHS - General

Tel: 770-499-3321
Fax: 770-420-4363

Campus Emergency

Dial - 6666


Executive Director

Mr. Gerald Donaldson, REM

Chemical Safety Manager

Mrs. Vanessa Biggers

Environmental Manager

Mr. Stephen Ndiritu, MS

Safety Coordinator

Mr. Terran Terrell, MPH

Admin. Associate II

Mrs. Natalie Higgins, BS

Student Assistant

Mrs. Leslie Davis

Student Assistant

Miss Brittany Rhoades

Work Study

Mr. Michael Morales



P-Listed Waste

KSU is classified as a small quantity hazardous waste generator.  As such, in a calendar month, we are allowed to generate up to 2,200 lbs (1000 kg) of hazardous waste and up to 2.2 lbs (1 kg) or acutely hazardous waste (P-listed waste).  The P-list designates certain commercial chemical products as hazardous when disposed of unused.  These unused chemicals may become wastes in a number of ways. Some can be spilled while in use while others can be intentionally discarded if out of specification. For a waste to qualify as a P-listed waste, it must meet all three of the following criteria:

  • The formulation must contain at least one chemical on the P list
  • The chemical in the waste must be unused
  • The chemical in the waste must be in the form of a CCP.
    *A CCP is a chemical that is of technical (commercial) grade, 100% pure, and the only active ingredient in the formulation.

Following are the chemicals that we have in Chematix that are on the P list.  If you own one of these chemicals, be aware that there are special requirements for disposal.  Please call Vanessa Biggers, 678-797-2415 or email for more information.


P-Listed Chemical Name


Ammonium metavanadate 


Sodium azide 


Potassium cyanide




Chloroacetaldehyde solution 


Benzyl chloride reagent




Carbon disulfide 




Sodium cyanide 


Copper(I) cyanide 


Arsenic(III) oxide 




Spring Forward!!!

On March 11th, 2012 Daylight Savings Time begins, which means we prepare to set our clocks an hour forward. 

This would also be a good time for preparation in checking and backing-up our Fire and Carbon Monoxide (CO) detection devises in our home or office.  Many people die annually from fire and non-fire (CO poisoning) related injuries. 
Remember to test and change the batteries in your smoke detector to make sure it functions properly.  Also try to maintain any fire extinguishers in your house by checking to see if it is maintaining correct pressure.  This is usually indicated by the needle pointed within the middle green area of the gauge on the extinguisher.  Also making sure we have a multi-purpose (ABC) fire extinguisher will help for they are able to be used for ordinary combustibles (like wood and paper), flammable liquids and gases, and electrical fires.  Make sure to identify all the locations of fire extinguishers around your home, office/areas at work.
Please remember to change the batteries and have battery/power back-up for your CO detector. This will help in making sure your CO detector maintains its power and works properly.  This is very important since CO gas is odorless and is not visible. 
CO can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces which my contain fumes from furnaces, vehicles, generators, burning charcoal, gas ranges, burning wood, and lanterns.  During times of emergency when alternative sources of power need to be used for heating, cooling, and cooking CO may build up in enclosed areas.

To Prevent CO poisoning:

  • Have heating, cooling, and gas producing systems serviced by a qualified technician annually.
  • Install a battery operated CO detector and replace batteries as needed (Maybe on Daylight Savings Time during the fall and spring of each year).
  • Seek medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning, symptoms include:  Dizziness, light-headedness, and Nausea
  • Don’t use a generator, burn a charcoal grill, and run a car or truck in an enclosed space

Visit this link to the CDC website if you have any further questions or need further information regarding CO poisoning and fire safety or contact EHS at 770-499-3321.





EHS Home | Departments | Directory |
Department of Environmental Health & Safety ©2009
Kennesaw State University, 1000 Chastain Rd, Chastain Point Suite 201, Kennesaw GA 30144.