Lawful Presence Verification
What is meant by Lawful Presence Verification
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia has created a new policy requiring University System Institutions to verify the lawful presence in the United States of all admitted students entering Kennesaw State University in the fall 2011 semester or later.
BOR Policy 4.3.4: “University System institution shall verify the lawful presence in the United States of every successfully admitted person applying for resident tuition status (in-state tuition).
Students will have a registration hold placed on their record until the lawful presence verification requirement is satisfied.
How Can Student Verify Lawful Presence?
- Students who file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and are eligible for federal student aid will have their lawful presence verified as part of the FAFSA process.
- Students admitted on an F, J or M Visa will have their lawful presence verified through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS).
- Students admitted on any other Visa will have their lawful presence verified through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program.
- Once admitted, all other students may provide one of the following legal documents to the appropriate University Admissions Office -- Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Office of Global Admission, or the Office of Graduate Admission to satisfy the lawful verification requirement.
- A Certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N‐550 or N‐570).
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N‐560 or N‐561).
- A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS‐1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS‐240).
- A current U.S. Passport.
- A current permanent Driverís License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008. Limited term permits are not acceptable.
- A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A current Military ID
- A current valid Permanent Resident Card
|Students who indicated in error on their admission application that they were applying for resident tuition status (in-state tuition) can contact the appropriate admissions office and request to be changed to an out-of-state tuition classification status. The Lawful Presence Verification is not required for students who have an out-of-state tuition classification status.
©2009 Kennesaw State University.
All Rights Reserved.
Kennesaw State University
1000 Chastain Road
Kennesaw, GA 30144
Phone: (770) 423-6000