General Education Council Procedures
- The GEC meets monthly on the third Wednesday of each month during the academic year at 3:30 – 5:00 pm.
GEC Membership (as outlined in the KSU University Handbook- 3.2 Shared Governance and Committees)
- The council is chaired by the Associate Vice President for Curriculum (nonvoting) and consists of the following voting membership:
- TF 20: one general education coordinator from each discipline represented in the core: anthropology (appointed by chair), biology (elected), chemistry (elected), communication (general education coordinator), criminal justice (volunteer), dance (coordinator of dance), economics (appointed), English (director of composition), foreign language (coordinator of French programs), geography (appointed by chair), history (appointed by chair), mathematics (appointed by chair), music (appointed by dean), philosophy (selected), physics (appointed), political science (appointed by chair), psychology (coordinator general psychology), sociology (volunteer), theatre and performance studies (coordinator of theatre), and visual arts (coordinator of visual arts).
- 1: the coordinator of HPS 1000.
- 1: a director from the Department of First-Year Programs (either the Director of the First-Year Seminar or the Director for Learning Communities).
- 1: one representative elected from the Bagwell College of Education.
New Course Proposals for General Education Courses
- New course proposals for general education courses require approval by the GEC before the proposal is reviewed by the UPCC.
- New course proposals for general education courses undergo two readings. However, the GEC may opt to waive the second reading of a specific proposal.
- The GEC requests that proposals be submitted to the GEC Chair one week prior the first reading of the new course proposal by the GEC.