Minutes of the meeting of
held at Room K106,
Members present: Dan Paracka (chair), Farley Richmond, Salli Vargis, George Vargis, Thomas Graham, Jean Choate, Ming Chen, Baogang Guo, Lei Zhu, Hao Gu, Nikhil Moro, Hemlata Madhavrao Moro, Wilson Huang, Linda Bennett Elder, Vrnda Chaitanya, Douglas Reynolds, Alison McCubbin.
1. Paracka called meeting to order at , following which each of the 17 attendees briefly introduced themselves.
2. Paracka charged the Asia Council (agenda), and handed out the 2004-2005 agenda which included an increase in membership, selection of a voting member and "point of contact" in each campus, and an invitation to colleagues to each campus.
3. Graham suggested
that officials from the Japanese consulate be invited to attend a future SCIE
Asia Council meeting to promote
4. Members discussed Asia Council's name and agreed that existing name is more appropriate than "Asian Council."
5. Paracka said emails publicizing the Asia Council's work and meetings were not eliciting the expected response.
6. Farley introduced
the India Faculty Development Seminar intended to introduce faculty in the
University System of Georgia to technology, innovation and business in
7. McCubbin said the
chancellor's awards currently stand at $5000 but she will explore increasing
this sum via other avenues. In response
to Farley's suggestion that the Friends of India, of
8. Graham suggested
that the Asia Council reach out to the
9. Paracka initiated discussion about the appropriateness of
the time of conducting the India Faculty Development Seminar: Is end-May too hot in
10. Moro suggested
that the attendees land in
11. McCubbin pointed out that the summer program attracted junior faculty as it "does not usually count towards tenure."
12. McCubbin introduced the 1000-level online courses in Chinese, Japanese and Russian. She quoted colleagues that students studying online make relatively quick progress but highlighted that transfer of credit was a problem for such students.
13. McCubbin announced a new contact in the chancellor's office, Ryan Thornton, reachable at 404-651-2950 (email@example.com) to work with students in place of the study abroad advisors.
14. Paracka announced that funding for study abroad was available with Alison's office for the 2000-level courses.
15. Paracka presented a report on the budget of Council Activities, adding that the Council would consider adjusting its bylaws based on guidelines suggested by the Board of Regents.
16. Salli Vargis
reported that the 2004 study abroad program to
17. Salli Vargis
reported that the 2004
18. Farley announced a change of Web address.
introduced the intensive six-week
20. Baogang announced that the intensive
21. Baogang described the $3000 Asian Freeman Scholarship, and said applicants stood an approximately 30 per cent chance of winning it. The deadline for the scholarship will be the first Friday of March.
22. Ming announced a summer study abroad program to the
24. Paracka introduced the study abroad program to
25. Paracka said the
Criminal Justice in
26. McCubbin said the study abroad catalogue is available online and as a CD for a quarter of the price of the book. The price of the packet is $1.10.
27. Paracka announced
28. Paracka said the Southeast Conference of Asian Studies,
29. Elder announced that the conference on Teaching India to
non-specialists across the disciplines will be organized by the Department of
Religious Studies and Philosophy,
30. Chaitanya announced that an international conference on
"how religious and spiritual leaders can promote issues of socio-economic
development" was being planned at
31. When Chaitanya
expressed concern over the date of this meeting clashing with the
32. Paracka announced the Asia Council's winter meeting will
be held on
33. McCubbin said the university system encourages collaborations with international visitors and would match funds on an equal basis.
34. Farley announced
that funding was available for the Teaching East Asia program for teachers in
35. Paracka adjourned the meeting at , following which a couple of group pictures were taken using Nikhil Moro's camera.
36. Members enjoyed a
15-minute movie screened via VCR by Salli Vargis, produced by student attendees
of the 2004
(Minutes recorded by Nikhil Moro).
* * *