Responsibilities of The Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate College
The Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate College has two overlapping sets of responsibilities.
Vice President for Research
The Vice President for Research is the institution's chief research officer, reporting directly to the University's President, and works with the Council of Academic Deans and the University's senior administrative team to provide leadership for research and external funding and to enhance a University environment that enables the faculty to excel in these areas. The Vice President for Research is responsible for:
- developing and implementing research policies, and helping shape the research priorities of the University,
- providing strategic leadership for the KSU Research and Service Foundation,
- advocating for funding at the local, state, and national levels,
- facilitating strong programs for interdisciplinary research, and
- developing collaborative relationships with internal and external partners for commercialization and technology transfer of research-developed products.
Dean of the Graduate College
The Dean of the Graduate College, reports to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs and provides leadership in sustaining and enhancing graduate program quality, advancement of graduate faculty credentials, and graduate student success. The Dean of the Graduate College assumes responsibility for:
- promoting excellence in graduate teaching, research/creative activity, and professional growth,
- partnering with the KSU Foundation to increase private support for research and graduate programs,
- overseeing and ensuring the development and implementation of sound educational planning, policies, procedures and standards for all graduate programs, including doctoral programs,
- guiding strategic planning for research and graduate programs,
- developing systemic structures to recruit, retain and promote diverse graduate students, staff, and faculty, and
- promoting KSU's research accomplishments and advocating for the Graduate College to both internal and external constituents.
The Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate College is also responsible for overseeing the recruitment, evaluation, and promotion of all personnel reporting to the Office of Research and the Graduate College.