Student Media Board
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Present: T. Grindel, T. DeMel, B. Murphy, L. Bishop, E. Wells, A. Mowrey, E. Eldridge (for Talon)
Absent: J. Ratchford, E. Bonza, M. de St. Aubin, M. Emory, T. Duke
1) The consensus was that we should NOT have an awards banquet this year, given the budget (lack of!) and uncertainty of what the awards banquet should entail. Those present agreed that we should do a staff appreciation in late March or early April to thank all staff members for their hard work and also to recognize the graduating seniors. We will continue to talk about a future awards banquet: what purpose it should serve, what types of awards should be given, and how we will pay for it.
2) T. Grindel asked that prior to the next board meeting everyone review the SMB bylaws; it looks as if they haven't been updated in quite a while. Particularly, everyone should review the section about board member terms. Grindel raised the issue of two-year terms for staff/faculty board members, saying that it takes quite a while for board members to get up to speed on what the SMB is and does, and by the time they know what's going on, their term is up. Grindel said her vision for the board is that it be an active one that can truly help student media groups achieve both their short- and long-term goals. Doing so, however, requires some continuity of faculty/staff board members, who bring a wealth of knowledge and experience. It would be unfortunate for the board to get on a roll and then lose momentum due to expired terms.
3) For the next meeting, Amy said she would bring a breakdown of all the student media unit budgets so everyone can get up to speed about where we stand vs. where we want/need to be.
4) By the next meeting, all student media units should have submitted to Grindel their short-term (1 year) and long-term (5 year) goals, including their greatest challenges. If everyone emails their copy to Grindel, she will distribute to all the board members in time to review prior to the next meeting.
5) Everyone present agreed that all student media units should have a style guide as well as a policy and procedures manual. Any unit that does not currently have both should begin working on them now.
The meeting adjourned at ~2:50 p.m.
Submitted by T. Grindel