Advanced Standing Exams - Departmental Credit by Exam
Institutional Examination for Advanced Standing
Students who offer satisfactory evidence may receive credit for a course by an examination for advanced standing. If the examination is passed, the students will receive the appropriate college credit, which will not be included in the calculation of the grade point average.
Requests for institutional advanced standing examinations should be initiated with the department chair responsible for the course in question and must be approved by the registrar.
Forms are available in the Office of the Registrar. Approval of these requests will be subject to the following criteria:
- Authorization will not be given for a course under any of the following circumstances:
- If the student has previously audited the course.
- If the student has previously scheduled and failed the course.
- If the student has previously scheduled the course, but has withdrawn after the first two calendar weeks from the day the semester begins.
- If the student is currently enrolled in the course.
- If the course is either a prerequisite or an introduction to a course already completed. (This provision does not apply to skill courses such as physical education or music, for example.)
- Credit earned by institutional advanced standing examination may be used neither to satisfy residency requirements nor to satisfy more than one-half of the major-field or minor-field requirements in a program of study.
- A passing grade for an institutional advanced standing examination is a grade of 75 percent or higher for a lower-division course and a grade of 80 percent or higher for an upper-division course.
- A fee of $60 will be assessed for each institutional advanced standing examination attempted; no course may be attempted more than once.
- A student must be admitted to the university at the time of application for advanced standing and must be enrolled in the university to receive credit for a course by advanced standing examination.
The Advanced Standing Exam form is available on the Registrar’s Forms web page.