Responsible Conduct of Research and Scholarly Misconduct
Federal regulations define research misconduct as “fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism in proposing, performing, or reviewing research, or in reporting research results.” Faculty, staff, and students of KSU are expected to conform to the highest ethical and legal standards in research and creative activities. The scholarly misconduct policy is located in the KSU Faculty Handbook.
Training for Students Paid with National Science Foundation Funds
Kennesaw State University students will complete the CITI online Responsible Conduct of Research training for their respective discipline(s). Office of Research staff will ensure that the students have completed the online training within 30 days of commencing paid research with NSF funding. Students will print a copy of their CITI online Responsible Conduct of Research Curriculum Completion Report and forward this to their faculty member. The faculty member will then forward a copy to the Office of Research. In addition to this online training, students will complete a face-to-face training segment with the faculty member under whose direction they are conducting research. Office of Research staff will work with the faculty member on this segment. Possibilities include having students read On Being a Scientist or The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and then discuss the reading with their faculty member. The Office of Research staff will follow-up with the faculty member on this face-to-face training.
- Begin CITI online training
- Register to become a New User
- Select "Kennesaw State University" under the Participating Institutions tab.
- Create a username, password, security question and enter your name and e-mail address.
- Select "No" for requesting CME/CEU credits for the course(s) you are about to complete.
- Professional Certifications are not required for the Responsible Conduct of Research training modules.
- Under Course Registration, select “Responsible Conduct of Research” course.
- If you are not conducting research on Animals, you may omit question #3 on the curriculum page.
- When you have completed the registration, the courses that you selected should be listed under the "My Courses" banner.
- You may start and stop the course at any time and your progress will be saved.
- To complete an Responsible Conduct of Research training module, you must score an aggregate 80% or higher on the quizzes.
- Make sure to print your Responsible Conduct of Research Curriculum Completion Report when finished and give a copy of it to your faculty member.