Definition of Adult Learner/Nontraditional Student
Adult learner and nontraditional students are described by the following criteria:
- 25 years of age or older or have a 5 year gap since their last enrollment in HS or college
- Employed part-time or full-time
- Serves in the role of spouse, domestic partner, parent, or care-taker
- Veteran or Reservist of the Armed Forces
The mission of Adult Learner Programs is to support and enhance the educational and developmental experiences of the adult learner. Innovative and quality services, programs, resources, and activities are offered in an effort to meet the need for integration of all aspects of the adult learner. Adult Learner Programs also facilitates a sense of belonging and community for the adult learner through the Lifelong Learning Center.
The specific character and mission of Adult Learner Programs is further delineated by the following general goals:
- To encourage student enrollment, success and persistence by providing individualized services such as academic support, mentoring, tutoring, advising and advocacy.
- To develop collaborative partnerships, on and off campus, that foster necessary and innovative programs, activities and services for the adult learner.
- To facilitate a sense of identity, belonging and community by providing a gathering place for adult learners to network such as the Lifelong Learning Center.
- To enhance academic support of the adult learner through provision of technological, audiovisual and business equipment for student use.
- To provide ease to adult learners, faculty and staff in the process of acquiring campus and community information through the provision of centralized information racks and the Adult Learner Resource Library.
- To support the adult learner's significant relationships by providing childcare resources, children's and family programs and services.
- To utilize appropriate assessment measures to evaluate the quality and effectiveness of programs and services offered to students.
- To monitor and recommend appropriate functional improvements, such as allocation of human resources, to better address the adult learner's needs.
Best Practices: A.N.S.W.E.R.S.
Adult Learner Programs at KSU offers a variety of innovative programs and services for nontraditional students juggling the roles of student, employee, and family members. Adult Learner Programs works collaboratively with academic, student success, and community entities to provide for all of these student needs. Read more about our Best Practices: A.N.S.W.E.R.S.