The Coming Out Monologues
October 8th & 9th, Onyx Theater
Wilson Annex, Kennesaw Campus
A Collaboration between GLBTIQ Student Retention Services
and the Department of Theatre & Performance Studies.
Missed last year's performance or just want to see it again?
Check out the 2014 performance online via KSU TV here!
Call for Submissions for 2015!
CLICK HERE to submit your monologue!
See below for details on requirements and details on how to write your monologue!
2015 Dates To Be Announced
Onyx Theater, Wilson Annex
'The Coming Out Monologues' is comprised of "coming out" stories from across the campus community. If you would like to share your story, we want to hear it! Stories can be humorous, poignant, serious, embarrassing, creative, any combination thereof, or something completely different. We encourage submissions from students, staff, faculty, alumni, family, and community members. Our goal is to showcase a wide range of perspectives and experiences surrounding the coming out process.
Who Should Submit?
- Anyone who identifies along the spectrum of GLBTIQ identities.
- Parents and family members of GLBTIQ identified individuals.
- Advocates and Allies of the GLBTIQ community.
- Anyone who has had someone come out to them.
- Those who have not yet come out as GLBTIQ.
Information for Authors
- SUBMISSION DEADLINE: AUGUST 28TH, 2015
- Monologues should be between 650-1,200 words or between 1-4 pages double spaced. The performance time should be 3-7 minutes.
- All submissions must be Microsoft Word.
- For assistance and guidance on how to write a monologue, please click here. We also encourage authors to visit the KSU Writing Center for assistance.
- Student actors will be performing the submissions we receive. Authors will not be performing their own submissions, unless they audition to perform. This production is a collaboration between GLBTIQ Student Retention Services and the Department of Theatre & Performance Studies. TPS students/actors will be performing most submissions.
- You do have the option to remain anonymous as an author or to have your name and biographical information printed in the programs. If you wish to remain anonymous, we still require your name and contact information in order to edit and accept your work. Only the Staff of GLBTIQ Student Retention Services will have access to this information and will keep it confidential.
- TPS and GLBTIQ Student Retention Services reserve the right to edit submissions for content and length. Every effort will be taken to maintain the integrity of the submission and to obtain author approval before finalizing any changes.
National Coming Out Day is an annual event celebrated on October 11th, which marks the anniversary of the 1987 March on Washington for Gay and Lesbian Rights. To celebrate this event GLBTIQ Student Retention Services in collaboration with the Department of Theatre and Performance Studies, will be hosting the third annual production of The Coming Out Monologues at Kennesaw State University. The purpose of this production is to present the many aspects of the coming out process as experienced by the various members of the GLBTIQ community. We wish to include coming out stories from numerous backgrounds and perspectives, including advocates, allies, parents, friends and persons who identify within the GLBTIQ spectrum of identities.
First produced at UC Riverside in 2007, The Coming Out Monologues are inspired by The Vagina Monologues. Since the first performance, The Coming Out Monologues have been performed at universities across the country.
If you have questions or would like to be part of the planning
please send an email to