||Volunteers will help lead and sidewalk the horses during therapy sessions. Volunteers are also needed to help support the facility, horses, and program administration. This is accomplished through: maintenance work, gardening, feeding/watering the horses, and clerical work.
Requires a regular commitment for direct program assistance.
Volunteer opportunities available daily - hours vary. Interview held prior to scheduling orientation. Hours vary, but kids come Monday-Saturday.
|Good Mews Animal Foundation
||Must commit to a minimum of 10+ hours of service. On-going volunteers preferred; no short-term opportunities!
Must be 21 years or older to volunteer at the adoptions!
Cleaning, feeding/watering, assisting with adoptions, and socializing with the animals. Clean & Feed committee works both mornings and late afternoons, 365 days/year; adoptions are Saturday 10-4 and Sunday 1-4.
You must attend an orientation before you start volunteering (usually held first Sunday of the month; may change because of a holiday or special event)
Note: No volunteer hours given for fostering pets.
||Volunteer opportunities include: staffing information booths at various festivals, distributing brochures, assisting with fundraising events/marketing/special events, volunteer coordination, and assisting with client services.
- Complete an online orientation that involves watching 3 videos and complete a quiz.
- Background check only for certain assignments and agency will complete!
- For some programs a minimum of three (3) month commitment is required!
- No requirements are involved when volunteering for special events. Special events will be listed under the Dated Events section on the VKSU website.
|Devereux Georgia Treatment Network
- Background check is required and agency will provide
- Orientation is required and held on " as needed basis" if working with children
- Get a TB test - agency will assist
- Minimum age to volunteer is 21 years or older
- Mimimum length of service is required if working with children - typically 6 months!
Hours of service:
- Monday - Friday
- 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
|Hands on Atlanta
||- Some agencies require an orientation - held on-site right before the service project.
- Volunteers needed every day at various agencies.
- Go to the Hands On Atlanta site to register for a volunteer assignment and then come to the VKSU office to get your Service Verification Form.
|HERO for Children, Inc.
||Volunteer service needs include:
- Mentors for our mentoring programs
- Buddies for our Saturday life skills program
- Volunteers at one-day events (HERO for a Day, Holiday of HERO)
- Assistance with fundraising efforts
- Administraive helpers needed M-F 9a-5p.
- Minimum age to volunteer is 22 years old!
- Background check required - agency will complete
- Interview & Orientation is required
- May need training session for certain assignments!
|The Center for Family Resources
||Volunteer opportunities are available in the following areas: food pantry assistant, GED tutor, intake assistant, and job lab coach.
- Open Monday - Friday
- Shifts available:
- 9am - Noon / 1pm - 4pm / 3pm - 5:30pm / 6pm - 8:30pm
- Actual service hours will vary depending on the assignment that you select!!!
- Please check their site for info on other volunteer opportunities
- Background check required - agency will complete at no cost to the volunteer!
- Orientation is required - completed on a one-on-one basis when a volunteer registers with the agency! No orientation for special events!
|Atlanta Community Food Bank
- Product Rescue Center – sorting, inspecting, packing items for distribution.
- Tuesday, Wednesay, and Thursday (9am–noon, 1-4 pm, and 6-8:30pm)
- Saturday (9am–noon and/or 1–4pm)
- Community Gardens – weeding, seeding, planting, tilling, cleaning, clearing, etc.
- Shifts can be scheduled Monday - Saturday during daytime hours.
- Shifts last for three (3) hours!
- Kids in Need - The mission of KIN is to provide learning supplies for students whose academic success is threatened by poverty.
- Restock Assistant - sort items, etc.
- Tuesday - Friday
- 9:00 am - Noon
- Shopping Assistant - assist teachers
- Monday - Thursday (3pm-5:30pm)
- Tuesday & Wednesday (5:30pm - 8pm)
- One Saturday per month (9am - Noon and/or 1pm - 4pm)
- Orientations are held at the beginning of each shift!
|Furniture Bank of Metro Atlanta
||Volunteers are utilized to assist clients with picking out furniture and loading it out of the warehouse onto the client’s vehicle. Volunteers are also used to help sort and package linens and kitchen items and loading and unloading their donation trucks.
Assignments & Hours:
- Assist clients with receiving mattresses & box springs
- Assist clients with tagging furniture for delivery
- Wednesday & Friday from 8am - 10:30am
- Requires a one (1) month commitment!
- Help clients with picking out and loading furniture
- Wednesday & Friday from 10am - 12:30 pm
|St. Vincent de Paul Society
||Metro Atlanta (10 locations)
||Services (depend upon location):
Locations and Hours:
- Clothing Closet - collect, sort, tag, steam, sell, and distribute clothing & light cleaning at end of day
- Food Pantry - collect, sort, and distribute food to the clients & light cleaning at end of day
- Office Volunteer - assist with filing, greeting clients, data entry, copying, and making telephone calls
- At main office located in Chamblee: Monday-Saturday from 9 am-6 pm
- Requires a two (2) hour shift in the store and main office!
- Orientation held as needed
- Monday-Saturday from 10 am - 4 pm
- Monday-Saturday from 10 am - 6 pm
- Monday-Saturday from 9 am - 5 pm
- Monday-Saturday from 10 am - 4 pm
- Tuesday-Friday and some Saturdays from 10 am - 3 pm
- Monday-Saturday from 10 am - 3 pm
- Monday-Friday from 9:30 am - 2:30 pm and Saturday 10am - 4pm
- Monday-Saturday from 10 am - 3 pm
- Monday-Thursday & Saturday from 10 am - 3 pm; Friday from Noon - 3 pm
- Stone Mountain:
- Monday-Saturday from 10am - 4pm
|Cobb-Douglas Community Service Board
||Looking for volunteers to develop and organize recreational activities for adolescents with addictive diseases living in a residential treatment program
- Commitment - at least 3 months, serving 2 hours a week (you can determine the day/time)
- Applicants must attend an orientation & training, complete a background check, obtain a drug screen (provided by agency), and get a TB test completed. Volunteer is responsible for getting the TB test.
|NASA (North Atlanta Soccer Association)
||Soccer fields located in Marietta & Kennesaw
||Background check is required for anyone who has direct contact with the children. One-time-only volunteers who are not working directly with the children do not need to complete a background check.
|Children's Restoration Network
||Volunteers are needed to assist with their Project One-on-One Mentoring Program. Volunteers will serve once a week for an in-shelter, academic mentoring program for homeless children in shelters located in Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Dekalb, Forsyth, Fulton, and Gwinnett counties. Teams of volunteers meet with groups of children to help with homework and basic skills, while developing a safe, positive relationship. As volunteers are recruited, the program will be expanded to additional locations.
Volunteer opportunities are also available for special events that are scheduled throughout the year. Please see the Dated Events section on the VKSU website to get more information about any special events volunteer opportunities.
- Tutoring program requires a background check and orientation
- Tutoring program requires a commitment of 1.5 hours a week!
|Cobb Head Start
- Monday-Friday from 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Each day's volunteers must arrive by 9:15 am
- Classroom is staffed with a teacher and an assistant
- Background check required - must provide the school with a copy of your current check!
- Follows the Marietta City school calendar
- Orientation held first day of volunteering
- Dress code:
- Jeans ok - but cannot be worn, have holes, or be low riders.
- No spaghetti strap tops or low cut and middrif tops. Simple shirt that can be washed is preferred.
- No flip-flops - shoes should be secured with strap and preferably toes covered
- No shorts
- Food: Remember that agency is trying to model healthy eating habits for young children
- No coffee/coke or cup from a fast food place
- NO peanut products allowed
- Water is acceptable
- If volunteers do not eat what is served, they can bring lunch or breakfast
||Various cities in Metro Atlanta
- Volunteers must complete an application and background check (no expense to the volunteer). Application.
- Must have a car, insurance, and valid driver's license
- Attend a 1-hour orientation session - They are held monthly on a Saturday!
- Requirements: Must commit to meeting with your mentee four (4) hours a month (scheduled around your convenience) for one year!
|The Sheltering Arms
||Various Metro Atlanta Locations
- Background check required - volunteer is responsible for completing this task!
- Agency will accept EDUC 2120 background checks!
- Must have an up-to-date TB shot!
- Daily hours: 9:00 am - Noon and 2:00 - 6:00 pm.
- Clayton: Jonesboro
- Cobb: Marietta
- Dekalb: Atlanta, Chamblee
- Douglas: Douglasville
- Fulton: Atlanta, College Park, East Point, Union City
- Gwinnett: Duluth, Lawrenceville, Norcross
- Rockdale: Conyers
- Pack meals
- Meals delivered
- Monday - Friday
- Takes about 90 minutes to deliver all the items!
- You must use your own transportation!
- Orientation is required!
- Held on Tuesdays at 6:00 pm and Saturdays at 10:30 am
- Background check is required and agency will complete!
|American Red Cross Blood Services Southern Region
||Cobb Donor Center open 7 days a week; mobile blood drives vary. Background check required - agency will do. Orientation required - held 3 times each month. Volunteer must commit to two shifts a month over a 6-month period.
|Advocates for Children
- Orientation is required - could be held in class setting or individual basis
- Background check is required if engaging in direct contact with residents - Bartow County Sheriff's Department will complete the check for free
- Sign a confidentiality statement
- Opportunities available throughout the year!
||Women's Shelter Info:
- Orientation is required - typically held on Wednesday from 9:30 am - 1:30 pm (other times may be open)
- Must sign a confidentiality form
- Minimum length of service = 20 hours of service
- Monday - Friday
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Hours are flexible - will work with volunteer's schedule.
- Agency requests that you commit to at least one hour each week with patients for a minimum of three months once training is completed.
- Background check required - agency will complete.
- Orientation/training is required - schedule is flexible to volunteer's schedule.
|Cherokee Learning Center
- Must complete and sign a volunteer application form
- Must complete a background check (requirement by Chattahoochee Technical College, the sponsor). Can't complete for individuals who live outside of the state of Georgia.
- Must submit a copy of your current resume
- Must provide the information for three (3) references
- Note: "Please allow up to two weeks for all paperwork to be processed by the Cherokee Family Learning Center before you can start volunteering."
- Monday - Wednesday from 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
- Thursday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- **Most students are on campus between 8:00 am and 2:00 pm or 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm**