Student Life


What does Student Involvement do?

The Department of Student Involvement helps get students get involved in one or more of the many student-led organizations and activities on campus. The staff in the department works with student leaders in all student organizations (Registered Student Organizations and Certified Student Organizations) to help educate them in managing activities and projects. KSU Student Media, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, the Kennesaw Activities Board and Student Government Association are also supported by Student Involvement. Student Involvement staff also manages the Game Room and the Student Organization area that’s located on the third floor of the Student Center. Student Involvement wants students to get involved so they will feel at home and be happy at KSU!

How many student organizations are there?

Although the number varies from year to year, we can safely say that there are about 200 groups at KSU. There’s something for everyone!

What is OwlLife?

KSU now uses an online database called OwlLife, a platform that allows student leaders to centralize paperwork, manage rosters, handle elections, among other tools. From organization specific websites, photo galleries, election tools, and social media integration, organization officers can focus on growing their clubs and organizations. For more information, check out the OwlLife FAQs.

Where can I see a list of the Student Organizations?

Click on the "Student Groups" link on our main page or go direct to OwlLife. You may need to login in with your NetID and password. If you are interested in any KSU organization, simply click on the group and click the "join us" button.

How do I get involved in a Student Organization?

The best way is to create a profile at OwlLife and explore the groups housed there. You may also come the our office in the Student Center, Rm 274, or email How's that for easy?

Does it cost anything to join a Student Organization?

There is no cost for most groups, although some may have minimal dues, such as honorary societies. Fraternities and sororities require members to pay membership dues (usually monthly), and there’s also an initiation fee for these groups. For information on fees for fraternities and sororities, visit their site.

Are activities on campus free?

Most activities held by Student Organizations on campus are free, though there are exceptions. Some activities may be fundraisers, and the fee paid may go to a charity; a few activities do require an admission charge. But MOST events are FREE!

How do I find out about all the events on campus?

Many groups post events on OwlLife. When you create a profile on OwlLife, your interests will also generate events and groups you may be interested in. also, check out the Master Calendar and find out when and where the groups you are interested in meets. Not only will you be able to see a calendar of events, you can also use various filters to find what interests you; for example, you may only be interested in College of the Arts events. You can filter your selections so that only College of the Arts events are shown. Check the fliers on bulletin boards, the banners in the student center and the digital signs all over campus. Read the campus newspaper and listen to the campus station.

Do organizations provide alcohol at their events?

No. Alcohol is prohibited for on-campus events. Alcohol is not permitted on campus, nor can any student activity funds be used to pay for alcohol.

How do I start my own Student Organization?

It may seem complicated, but that’s why we’re here. First, read the New Organization Startup form in our forms section, under the organization heading. But we like old-school too – you can always drop by the Student Center Room 274 or call us at 470-578-6280.

How do I get into an Honor Society?

Most Honor Societies are by invitation only, so if you are eligible, you will be contacted. Many of them are based in KSU’s academic colleges. Some Honor Societies are ones for which you may apply. Be sure to check your KSU email and look at the announcements on Owl Express for opportunities.

Do Student Organizations have offices?

There are several organizations that have office spaces on the third floor of the Carmichael Student Center: the Global Society, the International Student Association (ISA), the African-American Student Alliance (AASA), the Kennesaw Activities Board (KAB), and the Student Government Association (SGA). KSU Student Media's newspaper, magazines and marketing are on the second floor (Rm 277), and OWL Radio is on the first floor (north side), across from the Gameroom. A number of other RSOs have cubicle spaces in the third floor area that we simply call, “Student Organizations.” Most students refer to this area as “The Cubes.” Feel free to visit!

How do I get a job on campus?

Back on our main page, click on "Campus Jobs." Most offices and departments post open positions at this page and check often, as jobs are posted and removed regularly. If you find a student assistant position you would like to apply for, be sure to contact the specific sponsoring office.

I want to be a DJ for OWL Radio. Can I?

OWL Radio is looking for student talent in a variety of capacities. Visit for more information on these and other opportunities. Click on the "Get Involved" link. Before anyone may have an on air position, they first must complete training and serve on one of the station's teams. For more information, stop by the studio in Room 171 in the Carmichael Student Center, or the Department of Student Involvement, Room 274, above the station.

How do I get involved with The Sentinel newspaper, Talon Feature Magazine, or Share Art & Literary Magazine?

All KSU Student Media organizations are dependent on student talent and are student-run. Visit and search the site for information on how to get involved. In addition to writers, we also need photographers, editors, columnists, cartoonists, beat reporters, poets, artists, page designers, web authors, advertsing reps and others. KSU Student Media's main office is in Room 277 in the Student Center, next to the Student Involvement office.

I like pool and ping-pong. Where can I play?

The Game Room is located on the first floor of the Carmichael Student Center (north side) next to the main stairway, across from OWL Radio. Students are free to come in and hang out, and play pool or ping-pong whenever it’s open.

I’ve lost something/I’ve found something…where do I go?

Complete information on KSU's Lost & Found services and our Online Form is here.

Why do I pay a student activity fee, and how much is it?

Every KSU student pays a student activity fee each semester. The fee is $39/semester (fall and spring), and $26 (summer). It is the student activity fee that pays for most of the student entertainment events on campus and allows you to enjoy them. The student activity fee can also be accessed by student organizations who are certified by our department, providing events and “stuff” on campus for students. Lots of events have food and giveaways available. The student activity is what helps the University provide lots of services for students.

I don't think I was treated fairly by Student Involvement staff. What do I do?

It is the goal of the Department of Student Involvement to ensure that students and student organizations are getting what they need.  In the event that you believe you are not receiving the attention or service you require, we urge you to first contact the individual staff member in the department who you believe can best assist you.  If you still feel your issue has not been sufficiently addressed, please contact the Senior Director of Student Involvement, who will work with you to resolve the issue. In the event that you would like to file a formal complaint against the Department of Student Involvement, please visit this site:  This site goes directly to the Dean of Students, who will be notified of the issue and take action if necessary.

I have a few more questions.

We like that in a person. You can call us at 470-578-6280, or email us at Come visit our office in the Carmichael Student Center, Rm 274. If we don't know the answer, we'll find out and not send you somewhere else until we're sure. We're nice like that.


Fraternity & Sorority Life FAQs

Can fraternity/sorority life help me succeed academically?

Fraternities and sororities were founded on the principle of successful scholarship. Academic success is in your favor when you factor in help from sisters or brothers, study halls, workshops, and time management strategies.

Do fraternities and sororities participate in community service?

Throughout the academic year our fraternities and sororities host a multitude of service projects and philanthropies that promote and enhance the fraternal ideals. Their service projects and philanthropies support various local and national organizations. In the Kennesaw and surrounding areas, charities and service organizations have turned to fraternities and sororities throughout our history because of their sustainable sources for volunteers and commitment.

Through the support of local and national philanthropies, fraternities and sororities promote ideals that will enhance your college experience. Charities and service organizations have long depended on the dedication and generous time contributed to the community by the Kennesaw State University fraternity and sorority chapters.

What do Kennesaw State fraternities and sororities do for the campus?

Our chapters provide and support various types of programming for the campus community. Regularly at Kennesaw State, you can find a fraternity or sorority hosting an event for charity, an educational workshop that enhance their self-development, event that are entertaining in nature, as well as many other activities. Our members are also involved on campus with a host of student programs and organizations, including Kennesaw Activities Board (KAB), Student Government Association (SGA), Orientation and many more. Outside of holding leadership roles, you can also find they engage with athletic events as well as other campus based programs, including Week of Welcome, Homecoming, Annual Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life (OFSL) Block Party, and much more. It is easy to say that the students strive to enhance and elevate the campus culture as they would their own chapter membership.

Is it expensive to join a fraternity or sorority?

Joining a fraternity or sorority does carry a financial obligation. Each chapter is self-supporting through dues paid by their members.  Although chapters may make accommodations for special needs, students should take into consideration the financial commitment that follows membership in a chapter.

Is fraternity/sorority life really like the images portrayed in the media?

Many people have the misconception that the image portrayed through television programs and movies is really what is happening on college campuses across America.  In reality, those images of fraternity/sorority life could not be further from the truth.  Although an individual’s actions are entirely up to him or her, national organizations hold their members accountable for their actions using their founding principles as guides in their activities.

What if I am interested in a fraternity or sorority that is not at KSU?

The Kennesaw State fraternity and sorority community is growing rapidly and we are open to exploring the idea of adding additional chapters. Each council has a different process for expanding so the first step would be speaking with Jennifer R. Morales, Assistant Director in the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life at (678) 797-2838 or

Will I be hazed if I join a fraternity or sorority?

Kennesaw State University, the Department of Student Involvement, and the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life has zero tolerance for hazing. Hazing should not be part of any new member education program or membership intake process in any degree. If you are being asked to do something against your will or that is outside of the requirements for joining, or if you are unsure if the activity or request is allowed don’t hesitate to contact the Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Life (470-578-3081), the Director of the Department of Student Involvement (470-578-6290), the Vice President for Student Affairs (470-578-6310) and/or University Police (470-578-6206).

How many fraternities and sororities does Kennesaw State University have?


What fraternities and sororities are at Kennesaw State?

There are four governing councils that serve as the umbrella organization for the chapters within the council.
• Kennesaw State University Interfraternity Council (IFC) which includes:
Delta Tau Delta, Delta Chi, Kappa Sigma, Pi Kappa Alpha, and Pi Kappa Phi
• Kennesaw State University National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC):
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
• Kennesaw State University College Panhellenic Council (CPC):
Alpha Omicron Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Delta, and Phi Mu.
• Kennesaw State University Multicultural Greek Council (MGC):
Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. and Lambda Theta Phi Latin Fraternity, Inc.

If I am interested in joining a fraternity or sorority, how do I contact them?

There are several ways you can learn about fraternities and sororities here at Kennesaw State University: On our website ( you will find information and links to each of the chapter's individual or national websites. You can also stop by the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life (OFSL) in the Student Center, Room 253 and/or schedule an appointment to meet with a Fraternity & Sorority Life staff member.

How do I join a fraternity or sorority at KSU?

That depends on what organization you are interested in joining. Each council has a different process for accepting new members into their organization.
• CPC holds Formal Sorority Recruitment once a year in August. To register for Formal Recruitment you must register online, pay an application fee, have a minimum GPA of a 2.5 from high school or college, mail in a high school transcript for incoming freshmen or previous college transcript for transfer students.
• IFC hosts recruitment twice a year, once in the fall and spring semester. To register for recruitment you must submit an application, pay an application fee, have a minimum GPA of a 2.5 from high school or college, mail in a high school transcript for incoming freshmen or previous college transcript for transfer students.
• NPHC and MGC organizations conduct their own process for selection and initiation of new members, this process is known as membership intake. There are no set dates for membership intake. Once an organization decides to host intake they will post signs/banners in the Student Center displaying the dates for their Informational Sessions, Formal Interest Meetings, etc. These are the events you will formally attend to express interest. NPHC Convocation is also held twice a year. For more information regarding Convocation, please contact the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life.


FAQ’S ABOUT Funding events

What is the appropriate use for funding?

Appropriate use of funds includes programs/materials/activities that are likely to entertain, educate and/or strengthen theKSU student body. The historical performance of the event/activity is also considered. For more information refer to the Student Organization Manual (PDF file) found online under the forms section.

What can we use the $400 for?

Student Organization Operational budgets for non graduate groups are used for paper, pencils, folders, dues, registrations, food, promotional items, and other small miscellaneous purchases to assist in running your organization.

Can SABAC allocated funds be used for purposes other than the event requested?

No, designated funds must be used for the event purposes.

How do we get reimbursed?

Download the Petty Cash Reimbursement Form under the Student Organization section of the Forms page and follow the instructions for payment. For more details visit Section 5 of the Student Organization Manual.

Do events have to be open to the whole campus?

A general rule of thumb is that events that are open to the majority of campus tend to meet the criteria for Student Activity Fee fund usage. If your organization collects dues, or fundraises it can host a variety of events.

FAQ’S ABOUT Room Reservations

Why do I have to use the online form?

It will save everyone time if the Campus Event Request Form is used. It asks questions that are necessary for us to fill the request. If we don’t have enough information to fill a request, emails or phone calls back and forth add time to the process. The more information you can give on the request, the quicker it will be processed.

Will I always get the space I request?

Not always. We have to consider many factors before we book a space. Sometimes space is requested that may not be the best space available for your event. If everything checks out and the space is available, we will try our best to give you what you prefer.

Can I book meeting space for a whole year or for more than one semester?

Spaces are available to be booked through the Campus Event Request Form one year in advance. We encourage the booking of all non-academic spaces 9-12 months in advance. In academic buildings, meetings and events we encourage you to only book space by semester. Requests for Fall are suggested to be done after July 15th, for Spring November 15th, and for summer April 15th. Waiting until after these dates to book in academic spaces will minimize the likelihood that your reservation will be moved due to the scheduling of a class in that space.

How far ahead can I book space for a big event, annual event or special event where contracts may or may not be needed or speakers may need to be scheduled?

The time frame for reserving space for a large event depends on the location desired. Space can be reserved in the non-academic spaces on campus 12 months in advance. In academic buildings, we encourage you to only book space by semester. Requests for Fall are suggested to be done after July 15th, for Spring November 15th, and for summer April 15th. Many Large events must be presented to the Campus Event Planning Committee for approval. If you are planning a large event for your organization please email to schedule a meeting with one of the Student Involvement Reservation Coordinators. The coordinator will help you determine appropriate space, planning timeline, contracts needed and, if needed, a presentation date to CEPC.

Will last minute requests be filled?

Any last minute request will be handled on a case by case basis. Requests that involve set-up and/or access into academic classrooms cannot be processed with less than 3 business days notice.

Is it a problem if I book space and do not use it?

Several problems are created when you book space and do not use it. For rooms that require a set up; manpower, supplies and money are wasted if the set-up is not used. When a space is booked for you, it is taken off line and no one else can book it. If it is booked way in advance many group events are denied because the space is booked. If you do not use it, then it usually sits empty because there isn’t time to plan to put something else in the space. Please cancel all reservations that you do not plan to use by filling out the Reservation Cancellation/Change form in Owl Life. This should be filled out as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days prior to your reservation.

Are there consequences if I do not cancel a room?

If you do not cancel a reservation, you will receive a notice for non-cancellation. A copy is put in your file, sent to your advisor and the Director of Student Involvement. You will only be allowed 2 notices before action is taken. On the second notice, all events scheduled for your group will be canceled and you will not be allowed to use funds for your group. If your second notice is received the end of the semester, you will not be allowed to book space or use any funds available for the next semester. We will have a student assistant or staff member monitoring usage.

How do I make changes or additions to an existing reservation?

Do not submit another Campus Event Request Form if you already have a confirmation number for a reservation. Fill out the Reservation Cancellation/Change Form (form housed in OwlLife. You will need to log in with your NetID and password). This form should be submitted no less than 3 business days prior to the event. No changes can be processed for events within 2 business days of the reservation.

If I have been given outside space, will I be given a rain location automatically?

No, not automatically. You will need to speak with Student Involvement Reservation Coordinator the week of the event if bad weather is expected for your date and we can check to see if anything is available at that time. If space is not available you will need to make the decision if you want to cancel or not.

I have been trying to send the on-line form and keep getting an error message. Does this mean the form is down?

If you leave any field blank on the Activity Request Form, you will get an error message. If you do not have an answer for a question, please put NA in the field. The best way to access the form is from If you continue to experience difficulty please email for assistance.

How long does it take to get an answer and how will I know I have space?

Do not assume because you did not hear from us that you did not get a space. If a Campus Event Request is received by our office, you will always receive either a confirmation or denial. After the request is received, if there are no problems or complications, it usually takes 3 to 5 business days to get your confirmation or denial.

When I checked for space on the campus calendar, it showed that the space I wanted was available. If I got my request in before someone else, why did I not get what I wanted?

The Virtual EMS calendar located at is a great tool to find space available on campus. However, it is not a true representation of the events on campus because it does not show those spaces held for reservations that are being processed. It only shows confirmed reservations.