Graduate – Master of Arts in Art and Design (MAAD)
The Master of Arts in Art and Design degree explores the intersection of design and technology. In this program, you will explore innovative techniques and technologies that are essential to designing for digital animation, curatorial research — and even the classroom. With an emphasis on workforce development and technology, you’ll gain the knowledge and technological skills you need to advance or further your career.
KSU’s interdisciplinary Art and Design degree offers you the flexibility you need to explore graduate studies in art and design and engage in rigorous examination of creativity and professional practice — all while keeping your day job. Apply today to accelerate your career and advance your expertise from one of the three focused concentrations:
- Digital Animation — 100% Online
- Art Education — 100% Online
- Museum Studies — 100% Online
Digital Animation Concentration
The Digital Animation concentration teaches you the skills and tools needed to solve advanced problems in digital media, including frame-to-frame animation, rigged animation, storyboarding and visual development for film and game media. The program also challenges you to conduct professional-level research and communicate your ideas and concepts to a professional audience. Upon completing the digital animation degree concentration, you will be prepared to pursue or further your career in digital animation.
Art Education Concentration
The Art Education degree concentration is designed for both teachers who are currently teaching and have licensure, as well as students who are interested in careers within the field of art education. This concentration focuses on theory-informed practice and the development of innovative, student-centered teaching and learning skills. You will graduate with the knowledge and expertise needed to support p-12 students and colleagues in STEAM applications and media pathways. Teachers in Georgia who complete this degree will be eligible for a infield upgrade per Georgia Professional Standards Commission.
Museum Studies Concentration
The Museum Studies concentration emphasizes the diversity and function of museums and their impact on research — and the importance of protecting and conserving cultural, historical and artistic heritage. You will gain familiarity with communicating topics and issues in the world of museums, the arts market, libraries, archives and nonprofits. With this concentration, you will gain first-hand experience with KSU’s on-campus museum: The Bernard A. Zuckerman Museum of Art.
Source: Burning Glass Technologies, 2021
- Realistic Class Schedules — The 100% online Art and Design degree offers flexibility and convenience. You can complete your master's in only one year, without taking time away from work.
- Distinctive Concentrations — KSU’s Art and Design degree offers three distinctive concentrations for advanced studies -- digital animation, art education, and museum studies-- thus allowing you to tailor your degree to your creative and career interests.
- First Online Art Education Study Option in Georgia that Focuses on Studio Practice — The Online format of the Art Education concentration allows you to graduate with the knowledge and expertise needed to support p-12 students and colleagues in STEAM applications and media pathways.
- No GRE Required — Admissions criteria do not include a GRE.
Department Contact Information
1Program tuition is an estimate based on the average student's time to complete. Costs for books, travel, other miscellaneous fees (parking, labs, graduation, etc.) are not included. Tuition and fee changes are posted in the Spring and are effective for Fall semester. Please note that fees are subject to change at the end of any academic term without prior notice. For additional information, see tuition and fees or graduate program financial aid.