Graduate – Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME)
Online and Face-to-Face Classes are Offered
If you are a working professional or an undergraduate who wants to go directly into advanced studies in mechanical engineering, this Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering (MSME) is designed for you. The program consists of advanced general mechanical engineering courses and graduate-level electives that will increase your knowledge, skills, and competency in your field.
The MSME is a 30-credit hour program which involves:
- Eight (8) required courses covering major areas of mechanical engineering e.g. solid mechanics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, thermodynamics, design, manufacturing, dynamics and vibrations, and computational mechanics.
- Two (2) elective courses to provide interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary knowledge in areas like project management, research projects in engineering, and various other important and relevant topics
- Our program, both hybrid and online, consists of advanced general mechanical engineering courses and graduate-level electives that will increase your knowledge, skills and competency in your chosen field of mechanical engineering.
Career Mobility with Your MSME Degree
As a graduate with a Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering, you'll be able to apply your new knowledge in a variety of industries, including:
- Thermal Systems
KSU's MSME degree provides up-to-date skills and knowledge and is offered in formats that promote a reasonable balance among work, school, and life.
Mechanical engineers design, develop, build and test mechanical systems and devices. They also work with mechanical systems and devices. They generally work in offices and may occasionally visit worksites where a problem or piece of equipment needs their personal attention. Mechanical engineers work mostly in engineering services, research and development, and manufacturing.
A Ph.D. is essential for engineering faculty positions in higher education, as well as for some research and development positions. Mechanical engineers may earn graduate degrees in engineering or business administration to learn new technology, broaden their education, and enhance their project management skills. Mechanical engineers may become administrators or managers after gaining professional work experience.
*Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
Mechanical Engineering Degree Benefits at Kennesaw State
- Convenient Course Offerings – You can take courses fully online, thus seamlessly integrating school with your work
and home, supporting life balance. Or if you prefer, you can choose a hybrid format,
which includes a blend of online and face-to-face classes.
- International Student-Friendly Option – In the hybrid format, international students can take the required hours of on-campus
courses to meet requirements for getting a student VISA.
- Relevant to Today’s Workforce Needs – Due to the rapid evolvement of technology, companies are increasingly seeking advanced knowledge in their workers.
Department Contact Information
Mechanical Engineering Department Office
Engineering Technology Center, building Q
Room: Q 128
Kennesaw State University
Department of Mechanical Engineering, MD # 9075
840 Polytechnic Lane
Marietta, GA 30060
Mechanical Engineering Quick Links
Related Degrees and Certificates
1Costs for fees, books, travel, other miscellaneous fees (parking, labs, graduation, etc.) are not included in the cost of tuition. Tuition and fee changes are posted each Spring and are effective for Fall semester. Please note that fees are subject to change at the end of any academic term without prior notice. For more on Tuition and Fees