CPT Overview

Curricular practical training (CPT) is employment or training pursuant to an internship requirement or internship elective which is an integral part of the established curriculum of the school, and which will be counted towards completion of your degree. Do NOT engage in PAID or UNPAID work off campus without first speaking to an ISSSO advisor.

It is important to emphasize that F-1 students have proof of financial support upon arrival to KSU, thus negating the need to work off-campus solely for money. Therefore, no CPT or internship is approved for the purpose of supporting oneself financially. F-1 students are intended to complete their program and if necessary and authorized, may gain curricular training associated with their major. The only time a student may have an internship is if they are concurrently enrolled in a(n internship) course showing they will receive academic credit during the time they are working or if the degree requires the training for all students in that major. This satisfies the regulation for USCIS that a student is gaining work experience for academic purposes rather than for financial support. CPT taken without integrated coursework does not sustain F-1 nonimmigrant status at KSU. The internship sought must be a part of the degree requirements, such as a mandatory training course or a free elective inclusive of the degree.

  • You must be a degree candidate who has been full time in lawful status for at least one academic year (a fall and a spring semester) prior to requesting CPT. Students who are incoming from OPT (or any break in study) must wait the 2 consecutive full-time semesters before applying for CPT. 

    Your specific training opportunity must fall into one of the following categories:

    • CATEGORY 1:  Satisfies an internship requirement expected of ALL students in your program and necessary for the completion of the degree, such as Education, Social Work, or Nursing.  
    • CATEGORY 2: Satisfies an internship elective which counts towards completion of your degree. You may wish to contact your department to see if an internship elective is available before beginning the CPT enrollment procedure.  You must be able to register in the course elective and the course must be listed in the KSU catalog stating in the official course description that it is specifically designed to allow students enrolled in the course to engage in internships, practical training, or coursework off campus.
    • CATEGORY 3: Satisfies a thesis or dissertation requirement expected of ALL masters or doctoral students in your program and necessary for the completion of the degree.
  • You must plan in advance for CPT. The ISSSO generally does not approve CPT after the first 2 weeks of start of class. CPT taken with academic coursework should be approved by the department and/or Career Planning and Development and registered for before drop/add ends in the semester which the course is taken. The student must then have their I-20 authorized by a Designated School Official in the ISSSO. Students may not begin the internship or training without receiving the CPT authorization first. 

    The authorized CPT period must be completed during the semester for which it was authorized. Each department can use their own policies/discretion when renewing CPT for a following consecutive semester. In addition, CPT must be renewed on the I-20 EACH semester it is used. Students who do not renew their I-20 authorization during each consecutive CPT period are in violation of USCIS regulation.

    Submit a CPT Request in iStart for CPT Authorization. 

    For the CPT request, you will need: 

    1. Proof of internship, self-study, or special topics class registration from Owl Express 
    2. A copy of the course catalog description OR class agreement
    3. A copy of the offer letter from the job site
    4. Address of the employer
    5. Name and email of your advisor
      1. Coles College Undergraduate Students should use their Career Planning and Development advisor's contact information
      2. CCSE students should use the CCSE Internship Coordinator's contact information
      3. All other students should use their academic advisor's contact information
  • US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations do not place an absolute limit on the amount of consecutive CPT you may utilize. However, you must be able to enroll each semester in a qualifying course, or be in a continuing course. NOTE: If you participate for twelve months or more of full-time CPT you will not be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) post graduation. However, KSU generally does not allow multiple full-time CPT periods.
  • CPT is always part-time (max of 20 hrs/wk) during the academic year (fall and spring semesters).

    CPT may be full-time (40 hrs/wk) during the annual vacation periods or if required by the department.

    Summer is not considered a vacation period if you are in your final semester and will graduate at the end of the term. Full-time CPT authorization will therefore require additional program/departmental information substantiating the need for full-time training.

    An F-1 student may participate in on-campus employment and CPT. However, as the F-1 visa is a student visa and not a work visa, the primary focus of the student's activities should be their studies. Serious consideration should be given as to whether the student is able to handle the workload and satisfactorily meet expectations for their courses, internship, and on-campus employment. Additionally, if the student is a Graduate Assistant, their department must agree that the student can participate in the CPT experience while also holding the assistantship.

  • If you are a student in your final semester, you must be registered for at least 3 credits of inclusive coursework that applies to your degree. If you will be taking online classes, please talk to an advisor about your situation to make sure that you have an appropriate number of credits with face-to-face instruction. An extension of graduation cannot be granted for the purpose of pursuing CPT or for additional CPT.

    For students graduating in the summer, the term will not be considered a vacation term and therefore employment will be regulated at 20 hours per week. Full-time CPT authorization will require additional program/departmental information substantiating the requirement for full-time training.

  • Do not begin CPT employment until after your SEVIS record has been updated, an I-20 has been printed with approved employment dates indicated on it, and you have received it. The endorsement will indicate the precise details of the authorized training in SEVIS, including the name and location of the employer, the specific dates of the training period, and whether it is full-time or part-time.

    If you are in a PAID position, do not begin CPT employment until you have received your Social Security Card. For instructions on how to obtain a SS#, please visit the page below or speak with an advisor.

    More Information

PLEASE NOTE: please make sure to keep ALL original copies of any CPT I-20’s given to you. These will be required for future USCIS applications such as for H-1B’s and Permanent Residency.