One Month Before Leaving the U.S. or Graduating and Moving
- Notify your landlord or housing office that you will be vacating your apartment. Most
leases require 30-days written notice. Check your lease for details.
- Make sure your roommates are aware of your plans.
- Agree on a date to have a check-out appointment with your landlord and discuss your
deposit if you had one.
- Call all your utility accounts and newspaper/magazine subscriptions:
- Phone service
- Cell phone
- Cable TV
- Renter’s Insurance
- Make arrangements with your bank to close your account(s).
- Consider what to do with your vehicle if you have one.
- Contact health insurance, car insurance, and life insurance companies to discuss coverage
options and whether to close the account.
- Leave a forwarding address at your local Post Office so they can send your mail to
your new address.
- Pay any fines you may have (library, parking, etc.) If you owe money to Kennesaw State
University your official transcript will not be released.
- Return any library books overdue.
- Contact shipping or storage companies for best rates to ship/store your personal items.
- Sell miscellaneous furniture, appliances, computers, automobiles, bikes, etc. by holding
a garage sale or placing the items on a website such as Craigslist or EBay.
- You can also give away items to a local thrift shop, such as the Salvation Army or
- Unsubscribe to e-mail lists you no longer need.
- Contact the Alumni Association and register yourself to receive updates and establish
yourself with the Kennesaw State University Alumni Community!