Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Extension

Optional Practical Training (OPT) can be extended for STEM majors for an additional 24 months after the initial 12 month OPT for a total of 36 months.  The applicant must be in a currently approved 12-month OPT period.


  • STEM extension is usually based on the student’s major, not the student’s degree concentration
  • May be based on a STEM degree earned at a prior university.
  • Be in a current period of initial, approved, post-completion OPT (1st 12 month approval)
  • Have current employment or an offer of employment from an employer participating in the E-Verify program.
  • Have a degree with an eligible STEM CIP code.
  • To determine your CIP code, look on your I-20 for the 6-digit numerical code listed directly beside your major

Timeline and Important Date Considerations

  • Students must apply for the STEM extension before the expiration date listed on their current EAD card (Employment Authorization Document) issued by USCIS. You may apply for the STEM OPT extension up to 90 days before the end of your Post-Completion OPT. We recommend eligible students apply no later than one month prior to the EAD expiration date, to allow time for formal receipt processing at USCIS.
  • Upon approval by USCIS, the STEM extension period will begin the day after the expiration of the first OPT period (as listed on the EAD card), and will end 24 months after that. For example, if the current EAD expires on October 1, the STEM period will begin on October 2 of the same year.
  • If your current EAD has expired and a STEM extension is pending with USCIS, you may continue to work for up to 180 days while the extension is pending. Upon approval, USCIS will issue and mail you a new EAD card showing the extended dates.
  • H1-B: a temporary work visa.

    CAP: the annual limit on the number of H1-B visas that are granted.

    GAP remaining in-status with work authorization during the change of status period (the gap).

    All F-1 students who are currently on OPT, have timely filed for an H-1B, and have a USCIS-issued I-797C change of status receipt will automatically have their status and OPT work permission extended until the effective H1-B start date. No application is required. Contact an advisor at the ISSSO for more information.

Application Procedures

    • Browse these websites that contain resources to help students, schools, and employers:
    • Ensure the Form I-765, all supporting evidence, the new I-20 with extension recommendation and the fee payment reaches the proper USCIS Service Center before your current OPT expires and no later than 60 days after the DSO recommended extension in SEVIS.
    • You may apply for the STEM OPT extension up to 90 days before the end of your Post-Completion OPT.
  • Request an I-20 with a STEM OPT recommendation on it through iStart. If your NetID and password are expired, access the PIN login found at the bottom of the iStart homepage. 

    The e-form can be found under "F-1 Practical Training" and is called "STEM OPT Extension Request." In the e-form, you will be required to upload:

    Once you receive your I-20, sign the STEM OPT I-20 with extension request in BLUE ink. 

  • Prepare the following documents:

    • Form I-765. Please note the I-765 can now be filed online. For information on how to complete the form, visit our Tips for Completing the I-765 page. 
    • I-765 Application Fee. For online applications, students provide their card or bank account information at the end of the online I-765 application.
    • Official diploma and/or transcripts (can be ordered online; see the Registrar's website for more information)
    • Copy of previously issued EAD(s) card(s).
    • Copy of passport and visa.
    • I-94 showing F-1 status. In most cases, students can retrieve their I-94 from Students who received a change of status to F-1 from within the U.S. should use the I-94 attached to their I-797A Approval Notice.
    • NEW passport-style photo following the U.S. Department of State specifications
  • Optional: Request an appointment to review your application with an ISSS advisor

  • Submit your application.

Employment and Reporting Requirements

    • Work in a paid position for an E-Verify employer at least 20 hours per week
    • Work in a position related to the STEM degree
    • Report within 10 days of the following: Legal name change, change in residential or mailing address, change in employer (a new I-983 Form will be required along with the employment details), or loss of employment
    • Report every 6 months from the start date of the STEM period using the STEM OPT Reporting e-form in iStart.
    • Complete the Annual Evaluation every 12 months from the start of the STEM period using page 5 of the I-983
    • Work for any employer who is not enrolled in E-Verify
    • Accrue more than 150 days of unemployment during the entire 36-month OPT period
    • Be self-employed or work for a staffing agency as a contractor

Frequently Asked Questions

  • No, you can only apply for the 24-month extension within the last 90 days of your current OPT.
  • An F-1 student may change their major and request a new I-20 from the ISSS. However, please be aware this may cause delays in completing your degree. An F-1 student currently on OPT cannot change their major in order to be eligible for the extension.
  • E-Verify is a free internet-based system operated by United States Immigration and Citizenship Services in partnership with the Social Security Administration, which determines new employees' eligibility to work. Understand very few companies are currently participating in the E-Verify program.
  • Speak with your employer about enrolling in E-verify and direct them to the USCIS website for more information.
  • Students may work for multiple employers but all employment must be related to each individual student’s degree program and all employers must be enrolled in E-Verify. Students must work a minimum of 20 hours per week in each job while on a STEM extension.
  • Students on a STEM extension are allowed to volunteer, incidental to their status. This means that volunteer work is allowed but does not count as employment for the purpose of maintaining F-1 status. Any volunteering must be in addition to your full time job.
  • You can direct them to the M-274, the Employer Guide to the I-9:

    “If the student’s Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766) expires while his or her STEM extension application is pending, he or she is authorized to work until USCIS makes a decision on his or her application, but not more than 180 days from the date the student’s initial OPT Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766) expires. The student’s expired Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766), together with his or her Form I-20 endorsed by the designated school official recommending the STEM extension are acceptable proof of identity and employment authorization for Form I-9 purposes. Enter these documents in Section 2 under List A of Form I-9. You should re-verify employment authorization no later than 180 days from the expiration date of the previous Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766). (From Page 25 of M-274, the
    Employer Guide to the I-9.

  • Yes, students are permitted to travel outside the U.S. while the extension is pending. Please contact an ISSS advisor if you are thinking of traveling outside the U.S. while your extension request is pending.
  • If you plan to travel while on OPT Extension you will need the following: 
    • Valid visa
    • I-20 (must be signed for travel by a KSU designated official within 6 months of re-entry from travel)
    • Valid Passport
    • Employment Authorization Document (EAD) 
    • Letter from Employer authorizing you to travel and verifying you will work there before and after travel.
    • Pay stubs (recommended) 
  • USCIS provides information about the H1-B Cap-Gap regulations on their website.
  • Students will have a 60 day grace period from the notification date of the denial to depart the United States, obtain admission to a new F-1 SEVIS-approved school, or file an application for a change of status.
  • Students will have 60 days after their OPT end date to either depart the United States, obtain admission to a new F-1 SEVIS-approved school, or file an application for a change of status.
  • You can find additional, detailed information on the Study in the States STEM Hub.