Learn more about requirements and expectations of internships & co-ops by reading the Guiding Principles document.

Please contact your college's Career and Internship Advisor if you have any questions. You can also review internship and co-op course requirements specific to your major by clicking the below button.

Requirements by Major for Internships & Co-ops

Guiding Principles contact us Steps for Applying for Academic Credit

What is the difference between an Internship and a Co-op?

Internships and co-ops can help you make the most of your KSU experience by allowing you the opportunity to connect with industry professionals and ultimately gain valuable work experience. While internships and co-ops can help build your resume, it’s important to know their differences to decide which one is right for you.

ksu student

What is an Internship?

An internship is a form of on-the-job training that gives you the opportunity to test out a possible career or position while still in school. Internships are usually only one semester in length and can be part-time or full-time. Students may receive academic credit for their participation, though it should be noted that some internships are unpaid. Academic credit for internships is available to eligible juniors, seniors and graduate students with a declared major.

What is a Co-op?

A co-op is a form of on-the-job training which combines classroom-based education with full-time paid employment relating to your field of study. If you’re considering participating in a co-op, you should plan to spend alternating semesters working and taking classes. Some co-ops will be a single semester in length, but many will span multiple semesters — sometimes for the whole length of a student’s degree. Summer semester may be utilized in the co-op rotation schedule, but is not a required semester. You may receive academic credit or audit credit for participation.
ksu students looking at information

Requirements for Internships/Co-ops

You must have a KSU GPA to participate in an internship/co-op (transfer students cannot participate in their first semester). You should note that GPA and semester hour requirements will vary by major. For questions or to learn more about internship/co-op options for your major, we recommend you email your Career & Internship Advisor (contact emails can be found in the right sidebar of the Contact page).

Learn more about the requirements and expectations for internships and co-ops by reading the Guiding Principles document.

Let’s Get Started!

Ready to take the first step on your career path? Watch the video, and check out our five-step path for registering for your internship/co-op. Browse the FAQs to learn useful information regarding KSU internships/co-ops.

Finding an Internship/Co-op and Applying for Academic Credit

  • Your Career & Internship Advisor is your go-to person for exploring opportunities, preparing to apply and interview, and registering for academic credit. Make a appointment with them today through Handshake!

    Undergraduate Students: Schedule an Appointment Graduate Students: Schedule an Appointment
  • Start looking for your internship or co-op the semester before you'd like to participate. Handshake is a perfect place to start your search with over 8,000 positions available.

  • Once you've received an interview offer, contact our office and schedule a mock interview to ensure you are prepared! After you ace your interview and are offered the position, remember to ask for an offer letter before you accept. Need help preparing for your interview? Check out these resources:

    Office Contact Information
    Make an Appointment for a Mock Interview

  • After you've accepted your offer, log into Handshake and fill out an Experience form to start the process of applying for academic credit. Note: there are strict deadlines for this process. Be sure to visit our College-Specific Advisor Information for major-specific details.
  • After your "Experience" form on Handshake is approved and you receive an email from your Career & Internship Advisor, you must register for the internship/co-op course in Owl Express. Don't forget to include your internship/co-op on your resume!

Internship/Co-op FAQs

  • All internship and co-op courses are tuition and fee-bearing for-credit academic courses, except for COOP 2000 and ENGR 3398, as these are non-credit/audit courses with no academic requirements or tuition costs. A breakdown of tuition and fees based on the amount of credit hours taken.
    Under new federal guidelines, federal student loans being used to pay tuition will only be applied to those utilized and/or required in your course program of study. Courses that are not eligible to be paid with federal student loans will be flagged in DegreeWorks and students will be notified.

    Please read the Course Program of Study and Awarding Policy by KSU Financial Aid in full prior to registering for an internship or co-op. 
    At this time COOP 2000 and ENGR 3398 are flagged as ineligible for federal student aid. However, there are not tuition costs associated with either of these courses as they are not credit-bearing. 

  • In the Handshake Experience form, which serves as the application for internship/co-op credit, please respond appropriately to the specific question asking if you are an international student. Then, follow up with International Student and Scholar Services by contacting  to learn about the CPT/OPT process.
  • Unfortunately, some internships are being deferred or cancelled due to COVID-19. The good news is that there are still companies moving forward with hosting summer interns! Check out the job board on Handshake or our poll information on which past participating internship/co-op employers are still hosting summer interns.

  • Yes! Remote internships will provide a slightly different experience, but it can still be a great option to gain experience. If you’re an international student, there may be certain limitations on your participation in remote internships. Please contact the International Student Scholar Services Office to get more information on your eligibility.
  • There are many great job search sites, including Handshake, to assist you in finding internship opportunities.
  • If you already have a job that you feel qualifies as a co–op or internship, review the qualifications for academic credit that are specific to your major on the left side of this page. All positions have to be approved through the Department of Career Planning & Development.
  • Possibly. Contact your Career and Internship Advisor to discuss your exact situation.
  • Check out the process for your specific major by visiting your college's page under the "College Specific Advisor Information" on the lefthand side of this page.
  • You can include your HR representative you’ve been in touch with and email your Career and Internship Advisor to update the information as soon as you have it.
  • Communication is key! Email your Career and Internship Advisor and your faculty member teaching your internship course as soon as possible to make them aware of your situation.
  • Congratulations! That’s a great problem to have! You’ll want to weigh the pros and cons of the offer you have and the one you’re waiting on. Does one more closely match your preferred job and location after graduation? Would one have a total compensation package that is significantly higher than the other? In terms of applying for academic credit, move forward by completing an Experience form with your first offer. Then, email your Career and Internship Advisor and internship course faculty member to make them aware of your situation.
  • No (but congratulations on applying for a job/internship/co-op!). In order to get academic credit for your internship or co-op, you’ll need to fill out the Experience form in Handshake after you’ve accepted an internship/co-op offer.
  • Your internship or co-op should begin and end with the start and end dates for each semester, which can be found on the  
    Academic Calendars
    . Some faculty may be more flexible on start and end dates. Therefore, reach out to them as soon as you know you’ll have different start and end dates to get their permission.
  • Maybe, but keep in mind that KSU does not award retroactive credit. This means we cannot award academic credit for a past internship or co-op. However, if you’ve started an internship or co-op in the last 6 months and plan to continue working, check with your Career and Internship Advisor to see if you should apply for academic credit.
  • Contact the Education Abroad ( office before accepting an internship offer abroad. You can search for these internships under the "Jobs" tab in Handshake,, and