Financial Aid notifications are available on a rolling basis beginning mid-March. When you receive notification via Owl Express:

1. Review your Financial Aid award and decide whether or not you will accept all or part of your financial aid package.

2. Indicate your acceptance or rejection of loans. If you are accepting any part of the loan, please indicate the amount of the loan you wish to borrow.

3. Your acceptance of the awards listed will allow the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to process the receipt of funds.

4. Enrollment status directly affects eligibility for certain aid types.

5. If, after the term begins, you consider dropping a course or withdrawing from the University, please be aware aid may be reduced or cancelled.

6. Eligibility for financial aid is based on the definition of “An Academic Year” as prescribed by the U. S. Dept. of Education. KSU’s academic year is Fall, Spring, and Summer terms.

7. A student may NOT receive financial aid at two schools simultaneously.

8. Carefully read the remainder of this information, as it contains very important information and policies concerning your financial aid package.


Your financial aid notice, which is awarded based on full-time attendance, may include one or more of the following (disbursement of aid will not occur before classes begin and enrollment is verified.):

  • This federal grant is available to undergraduate students who have NOT received a baccalaureate degree. Eligibility is determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as calculated using information provided by the student/parent on the FAFSA. Funds from this award will be divided equally between the Fall and Spring semesters and will be credited to the student’s account accordingly. Student’s now may have eligibility for summer Pell Grant under certain conditions. Eligibility for summer Pell Grant is determined each year in the early spring.

    A Pell Grant award is based on the number of hours a student is enrolled. Typically, the posted award amount is based on full-time enrollment. Should a student not enroll for 12 or more hours (full-time), the award will be prorated at disbursement based on enrollment.

  • This federal grant is awarded based on the student’s EFC and the availability of funds. Applicants who file by the priority date of March 1st are reviewed first. Only students who are Pell Grant eligible may receive this grant (undergraduate students who have not received a baccalaureate degree). This fund is extremely limited and not all eligible students may receive funds.
  • This is a low interest loan that enters repayment six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least on a half-time basis (6 hours). The term “Subsidized” means that the government pays the interest on the loan while the student is enrolled in school. Students must be enrolled in 6 hours or more to be eligible during a specific term. Eligibility is determined by filing the FAFSA. This is a need-based loan.

    To complete the loan process, please visit Once on this page, select Direct Loans. This provides you a step by step process. New borrowers will also need to complete an Entrance Counseling. You will only need to complete these documents (Loan Agreement and Entrance Loan Counseling) ONCE. For additional information regarding Direct Loans.

    If a student borrower withdraws or drops below ½ time, Exit Loan Counseling must be completed before returning to KSU – even if the student intends on returning the following term.

    Freshmen may be eligible to borrow up to $3,500, sophomores $4,500, juniors and seniors $5,500. After the loan is awarded and accepted by the student via Owl Express, the student will be required to complete a Loan Agreement. The Loan Agreement for a Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan (MPN) must be completed and must be signed electronically (utilizing the FSA ID - it can be retrieved at This is required for the loan to disburse. In addition, the student must complete Entrance Loan Counseling. In addition, should the student withdraw from the University prior to the school receiving the loan disbursement, the student will be ineligible to receive the loan award, and the funds will be returned.

  • This loan program provides financial assistance to all eligible students regardless of income. The FAFSA is required for determining eligibility. This loan is very similar to the Subsidized Stafford Loan in that the repayment terms and loan limits by class standing are the same. The difference is that the student, rather than the federal government, is responsible for paying the interest on the loan while he or she is enrolled. Loan proceeds from the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan will be disbursed like the Subsidized Stafford above, and the total amount of both the Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans may not be more than the annual loan limits set for the student’s class standing. Students must be enrolled in 6 hours or more to be eligible during a specific term. All eligible dependent undergraduate students are eligible for $2,000 annually – in addition to the amount of Stafford eligibility, i.e., Freshmen = $3,500 + $2,000.
  • The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate financial need. FWS gives the student an opportunity of working on campus or in a community service position on a part-time basis. FWS students may work up to 20 hours per week. Pay rate is determined based on job type, job duties and experience, but must meet the federal minimum wage of $7.25. The FAFSA is required. For additional information please visit our Federal Work Study Program page. Funding is limited as prescribed by the U. S. Dept. of Education.
  • his federal loan is a long term, low interest loan available to parents of dependent students regardless of income level. KSU requires the completion of the FAFSA to receive this loan. The annual loan limit is equal to the cost of attending KSU less any financial assistance the student is receiving. This loan enters repayment 60 days after the last disbursement of each year. Parents must demonstrate credit worthiness to receive this loan. The loan proceeds are divided equally between the Fall and Spring terms. The student must be enrolled when the disbursements are received by the school. A separate loan application must be filed in order to receive these funds. Applying for a PLUS Loan must be completed with the U. S. Federal Government. Apply for PLUS Loan
  • The HOPE program is a state scholarship funded by the Georgia State Lottery for Education. The HOPE scholarship will pay for as many hours as a student chooses to enroll up to a maximum of 15 credit hours per semester. For eligibility criteria and specifics regarding the HOPE Program, please view GAfutures. Students must complete the FAFSA or the Georgia Scholarship/Grant Application (GSFAPPS).
  • There are need-based and merit scholarships available for both undergraduate and graduate students. Available scholarships are listed under the appropriate college. For information, please visit the Kennesaw State University Scholarship Web Site.


  • Students are awarded financial aid based on FULL-TIME enrollment status (12 hours) unless the student informs the Office of Student Financial Aid otherwise. Please note: HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarships are awarded at the maximum amount based on enrolling in 15 hours. Financial aid packages for students enrolled less than full-time may require adjustments. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of Financial Aid of his or her less than full-time enrollment status. Eligibility for awards varies with enrollment status. Students must be enrolled in an eligible program of study to receive (a degree-seeking program) any financial aid.
  • If you receive any financial assistance from any source other than what is shown on your award notification, your financial aid package must be adjusted. Kennesaw State University reserves the right to change the content and amount of any student’s financial aid package based on additional financial assistance received by the student at any point in the academic year.
  • Your financial aid award is subject to change or may be adjusted at any point in the academic year due to Kennesaw State University’s correction(s) and/or change(s) in federal/state appropriations. We routinely audit our financial aid files throughout the academic year to check for accuracy. KSU reserves the right to make corrections to a student’s financial aid information as needed and these changes may alter a student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) or award eligibility and subsequently the financial aid package. In addition, please remember that changes in your EFC due to student’s/parent’s failure to report accurate information on the FAFSA will result in award revision(s) as well. KSU reserves the right to adjust the content and/or the amount of the student’s financial aid package based on the above conditions at any point in the academic year.
  • If you correct your Student Aid Report (SAR) after you have been awarded, your financial aid package may be adjusted in accordance with federal regulations at any point in the academic year. KSU reserves the right to adjust the content and/or the amount of the student’s financial aid package based on the above conditions at any point in the academic year.
  • If you withdraw after the term begins, your financial aid package is subject to proration as set forth in the federal regulations. If, after the federally prescribed proration is calculated, we have to reduce your financial aid package, you may owe a balance on your account. This balance is your responsibility to pay, not KSU’s responsibility. Institutional aid (including scholarships) may be prorated if tuition charges are adjusted. For further information, click this link.
  • Contents of the student’s financial aid file are the property of the Kennesaw State University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. These files are considered confidential information. Requests by the student to review his or her file must be made in writing. Requests by the dependent student’s parent(s) to review the student’s file must be made in writing, and the student must give his or her written consent to release the information. Once a request is received, KSU has 45 days to make the requested information available for review. This review will take place in the Office of Financial Aid at a time convenient for the student, dependent student’s parent(s) and the Office of Financial Aid. This review will NOT take place the same day the written request for review is received by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. Requests by anyone other than the student and/or the parent(s) must be approved by the student. A Consent to Release Information must be completed by the student and submitted to the Office of the Registrar. This policy is in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, 20 USC § 1232g and 34 CFR § 99.
  • In the case of a divorced/separated student, the ex-spouse is not privileged to any financial aid information on the student.
  • In the case of a divorced/separated parent of a dependent student, the non-custodial parent is not privileged to any financial aid information regarding the student unless that non-custodial parent’s financial information was used to calculate the student’s eligibility for financial aid.
  • For the protection of the student, as well as the protection of the staff of the Office of Financial Aid, we will not release information regarding the student’s financial aid package over the phone. Students are required to authenticate their identity by presenting a government-issued picture ID. A KSU ID card will suffice. Information may not be released without the presence of valid identity authentication items. No specifics may be released via the phone or email because of not being able to authenticate the individual’s identity.
  • Students must apply for need-based financial aid each year; financial aid awards are NOT automatically renewable. We cannot guarantee that the same level of funding will be available each academic year. Funding levels from the federal government, the state, and the University change each year. As a result, need-based financial aid packages may vary annually in content as well as total amounts from year to year. The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at KSU reserves the right to change packaging policies annually.
  • If your permanent home address changes at any time, it is your responsibility to notify the University of your change of address immediately.
  • Because the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid communicates with you via your KSU email address, it is your responsibility to ensure you are reviewing your email for any communications from our office.
  • Students who leave the University through transfer, graduation, or any other form of leave are not entitled to the remaining eligibility of institutional aid/scholarships and will forfeit such remaining eligibility.
  • Students attending the Summer term are eligible for financial aid based on remaining eligibility for the academic year. Federal funds, i.e., Student Loans, are based on an annual limit. If the annual amount has been utilized for previous terms (whether at KSU or at other post-secondary schools), the student is not eligible for additional funding for the Summer term. The student must be enrolled in at least 6 hours during the Summer term to receive a student loan.
  • Current year financial aid may not be used to pay prior year balances.
  • Students who have student loans and withdraw from school must complete an Exit Interview before returning – even if the student returns the next term.
  • Students and/or parents who report “No Income” on the FAFSA, or report an income that appears to be exceptionally low, are required to provide additional documentation. The student and/or parent will be contacted by the Office of Student Financial Aid regarding this need.
  • Annual student loan eligible amounts will not be awarded for one term.
  • International students may not receive an alternative loan during their first year of study. Loans for subsequent years will be allowed by providing a written statement asking for approval.
  • The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid reserves the right to deny a student a loan – federal, alternative or Student Access Loan – based on specific federal guidelines and/or institutional polices. Students who have previously defaulted on a student loan may be denied on a case-by-case basis.
  • Financial Aid will disburse to a student’s account in the Bursar’s Office following the completion of the “Drop/Add Period.”
  • A student may NOT receive financial aid at two schools simultaneously. This is not allowed by federal law. Should this be discovered, aid may be removed at KSU and the student will have a balance due to the Bursar’s Office.
  • A student with a bachelor’s degree who wishes to return to KSU and receive an additional bachelor’s degree must be in a degree program other than the one previously completed.


Expenses for Fall and Spring

A listing of direct costs can be obtained at the link below:

For information regarding payment options, please view the ‘How to Pay’ link below.

tuition and fees how to pay


  • To be eligible to receive need-based financial aid other than the Federal Pell Grant, a student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours) in a program leading to the receipt of a degree. A student who is enrolled less than half-time may be eligible to receive a Pell Grant as long as the student is seeking their first baccalaureate degree. A student’s financial aid award may be adjusted at any point in the term due to enrollment changes or noted errors on the part of the student, parent or the institution.
  • To withdraw officially from the University, a student must complete an official withdrawal form in the Office of the Registrar or online. The date the Office of the Registrar signs and approves the withdrawal form is the official date KSU will use in the calculation of any tuition refund or refund to Federal student aid and/or HOPE scholarship programs. Students who do not formally and completely withdraw are not eligible for a refund.

    As part of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, Congress passed provisions governing what must happen to your Federal financial assistance if you completely withdraw from school in any semester. If a student withdraws from KSU, then the University or the student may be required to return some of the federal aid and/or HOPE Scholarship funds awarded to the student.

  • For those students who withdraw and are receiving federal funding, the refund policy of Title IV Funds (back to federal programs) is dictated by federal regulations governing Title IV financial aid programs. These programs must be refunded according to the calculations prescribed by federal regulations based on the date of withdrawal and percentage of time enrolled. Within 45 days of the date of withdrawal being determined, the amount of funding that must be returned to the Title IV programs will be calculated, and the student’s financial aid award will be adjusted accordingly. This will occur within 45 days of the official date of withdrawal, or, in the cases of unofficial withdrawals (see below); the date that the school has determined the student has withdrawn. Students who have federal loans are required to complete an exit loan counseling.
  • Students who register for classes, and do not attend at least one class session, are not eligible to receive any federal, state, or institutional funds. Students who attend at least one class, cease attending all classes, and do not officially withdraw from the University, are considered to have unofficially withdrawn and are subject to proration even if the school becomes aware of the lack of attendance at the end of the term or after the term has concluded.
  • In the case of an official or unofficial withdrawal from the University, a student who receives a cash disbursement of Title IV financial aid funds may have to repay the University a percentage of those Title IV funds depending on the length of enrollment and the amount of financial aid awarded to the student. If, according to the federal calculations, a student has been “overpaid,” the student will be required to repay the excess amount to the University for reimbursement to the federal programs. If the student fails to repay the calculated amount, the student will be reported to the U. S. Department of Education and will be ineligible for any other Title IV assistance at any school.



Federal regulations, HEA Sec. 484(c), §668.16, 668.34, require all schools participating in Title IV federal financial aid programs to have a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy that conforms to the requirements detailed below. These requirements apply to all students as one determinant of eligibility for financial aid.

  • SAP is calculated each semester after grades have been posted to academic history by the Office of the Registrar.
  • If, after the first term of attendance you are not making SAP, you will be put on a Warning status and allowed to keep aid for one term. Your continued eligibility will be determined after the next term checkpoint.  Please note: when exceeding the maximum time frame for your degree you will not receive a warning term.
  • If your SAP status is Failure after the check is performed, you will not qualify for financial aid for the following term.
  • If your SAP status is Failure and you cannot mathematically attain SAP requirements, an appeal will not be permissible. Documented mitigating circumstances may allow continued eligibility on a case-by-case basis and will require an academic plan.
  • A student may appeal their SAP Failure status only twice during their academic career at KSU. Documented mitigating circumstances may allow additional appeals on a case-by-case basis.

Quantitative and Qualitative Requirements

1. Quantitative Requirement

The quantitative requirement has two parts:

  • A maximum time frame
  • A required completion ratio

Undergraduate Students

Maximum time frame (maximum attempted credit hours) – You must earn your degree before reaching 180 attempted credit hours, which includes transferrable credits attempted at any school prior to and while enrolled at Kennesaw State University (KSU). Students who are seeking a second undergraduate degree different from their first degree will be granted 60 additional hours to complete the second degree requirements. 

Once you reach the maximum attempted credit hours, you are no longer eligible for financial aid as an undergraduate student. 

Completion Ratio – You must complete and pass at least 67% of all credit hours you attempt. Courses earned include grades of A, B, C, D, or S. Courses attempted include any course in which grades of A, B, C, D, F, W, WF, I, S, U or IP are given.

 Graduate Students

Maximum time frame – The maximum time frame varies by degree level. 

Once you reach the maximum attempted credit hours, you are no longer eligible for financial aid as a graduate student. 

Completion Ratio – You must earn at least 67% of all attempted credit hours. Courses earned include grades of A, B, C, D, or S. Courses attempted include any course in which grades of A, B, C, D, F, W, WF, I, S, U or IP are given.

2. Qualitative Requirement

The qualitative requirements sets a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average for all students.  The cumulative GPA includes grades of A, B, C, D, F, and WF.  The cumulative GPA will be checked each term for SAP.

Undergraduate Students – The cumulative GPA requirement is 2.00 for each term.
Graduate Students – The cumulative GPA requirement is 3.00 for each term.

The cumulative GPA is evaluated at the institutional level and the overall level that includes transfer work. Students not meeting the minimum GPA requirements will be subject to warning and failure status, as applicable.

Policy Details

    • Initial Review – You are considered to be meeting SAP during your first KSU term.
    • End of Every Semester Review- Your SAP status is calculated at the end of each semester, after grades are posted to your academic history by the Registrar's Office.
    • You are no longer eligible for financial aid – including work study, loans, grants or scholarships. If you're on a Warning Status – eligibility may continue.
    • Because you do not qualify for financial aid, you must pay your tuition and fees by the payment deadline or your registration will be cancelled by the Bursar’s Office.
  • When you have attempted the maximum credit hours, you are no longer eligible to receive financial aid.
  • Yes.  Students pursuing a 2nd bachelor's degree are granted 240 hours of eligibility.
  • Yes.  Eligibility is based on the degree level being pursued.
    • Warning Status – The first time you fall short of meeting the required completion ratio, your status is Warning. You remain eligible to receive financial aid while in warning status. If placed on "No Progress" status (note "No Progress" subheading), the student does not receive a Warning Status but goes to Failure Status immediately (note below).
    • Failure Status – After attending one semester on Warning status, if you do not meet the required completion ratio, your status becomes Failure Status. You are no longer eligible to receive financial aid until the required standards are met. You must successfully appeal to regain eligibility.
    • Probation Status – After being placed on a Failure Status, AND a student has successfully appealed and financial aid has been reinstated, the student is eligible to receive financial aid. This status is only for one term and quite often will carry conditions and/or stipulations for continued eligibility.
    • SAP Appeal – If mitigating circumstances during a specific term of enrollment prevented you from meeting the requirements, you may file a SAP Appeal.

    Appeal Requirements:

    • A typewritten explanation of mitigating circumstances associated with Failure Status. Indicate how these circumstances have changed so that you can comply with regulations in the future. Attach supporting documents to corroborate mitigating circumstances mentioned in the letter.
    • Include a “student plan of action” for academic improvement. This requires that you meet with your academic advisor and create a plan for getting back in good academic standing.
    • Attach at least one letter of support from someone that can substantiate the mitigating circumstances. This individual should not be a family member. Examples would include a medical doctor, clergy, professional, etc.
    • The appeal form must be submitted to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid within the prescribed dates as noted on the SAP Appeal Form. Failure to provide these within the prescribed dates will result in a delayed determination.
    • An objective committee, composed of selected individuals outside the Office of Student Financial Aid, determines whether the appeal is approved. The decision of the Appeals Committee is final and cannot be appealed further.
  • If you are denied an appeal or you decide not to appeal, you must complete the necessary hours and earn the appropriate grades. Once you have reached the prescribed standards you become eligible to receive financial aid.
  •  If you reach Failure Status as an undergraduate, and then are admitted to a graduate degree program, you will be eligible to receive financial aid as a graduate student. You must be in a degree-seeking status and fully accepted into the graduate program.
    • Changes in major, double majors or minors – may cause you to reach your maximum attempted hours, and lose your eligibility before earning a degree.
    • Incomplete grades, missing grades, failing grades, course withdrawals all reduce your completion ratio, because they are counted as attempted, but not earned credits. They also count against your maximum attempted hours.
    • Repeated courses – count as attempted credit hours each time you register for them. They also count against the allowed maximum. This can also reduce your completion ratio because repeated credits count as earned credits only once. NOTE: The U. S. Dept. of Education allows only one retake for Title IV credit.
    • Academic Renewal – count against your maximum attempted credits, and also lower your completion ratio because the credits count as attempted but not earned.
    • Transfer credits, credits taken while cross-registered, enrolled in study abroad, transient study – count toward your maximum attempted credits and your completion ratio. 
    • Remedial courses – count as attempted and earned credits and are included in the GPA calculation.
    • Late posted grades or grade changes- Once notification is received from the Office of the Registrar of grade changes, the SAP status will be recalculated.
    • Dismissal and Return – students who are suspended academically or choose not to attend because of SAP Failure will not be automatically eligible for financial aid upon their return. Students must meet both qualitative and quantitative standards of SAP. If not meeting standards, a student must appeal or use means other than financial aid for educational expenses. Absence does not restore eligibility for financial aid. It remains the responsibility of the student to be knowledgeable of their SAP standard when returning to school after dismissal or choosing not to return because of SAP Failure.
    • Summer Term Courses – all hours attempted and completed in the summer terms are treated as any other semester hours in determining SAP status. SAP will be checked following the summer term as well.
    • Audit Courses – students are not eligible to receive financial aid for audit courses. Audited courses are not included in hours attempted or earned for SAP determination.
    • Students pursuing dual bachelor's/master's degrees - Students who are pursuing dual degrees are subject to the maximum time frame rules but may be reviewed on a case by case basis by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid reserves the right to review denied appeals, cumulative GPA's and completion rates on a case by case basis.


Federal regulations define how financial aid can be used for classes taken more than once.

You CAN receive financial aid:

  • To repeat a course that has already been passed (D- or higher) only one additional time, unless the second attempt results in a W.  Then a third attempt can receive payment of financial aid.
  •  As many times as necessary to repeat a course in which the only previous grade earned has been a failing grade (F).
  • Even if a passing grade has been earned for certain repeat courses, such as Band or thesis hours, due to different subject content being studied in each term.

All courses previously taken, even if financial aid was not used, are compared against the current semester to determine if it is a repeated class and whether it can be paid for using financial aid. Your financial aid may be recalculated if you take a class that is not eligible for financial aid. This policy does not provide exceptions if the repeat courses are taken to meet plan of study grade requirements, i.e. a grade of C or higher must be earned to count towards your major.

Term  Eligible for funding? Reason Grade
Fall 2011 Yes  First Attempt W
Spring 2012 Yes  Not Passed Before F
Summer 2012 Yes  Not Passed Before D
Fall 2012 Yes  First Repeat D
Spring 2013 No Second Repeat C
Term  Eligible for funding? Reason Grade
Spring 2012 Yes  First Attempt D
Fall 2012 Yes  First Repeat D
Spring 2013 No Second Repeat D
Term  Eligible for funding? Reason Grade
Summer 2012 Yes  First Attempt F
Fall 2012 Yes  Not Passed Before W
Spring 2013 Yes  Not Passed Before D
Fall 2013 Yes  First Repeat C


Term  Eligible for funding? Reason Grade
Fall 2011 Yes  First Attempt C
Spring 2012 Yes  First Repeat F
Fall 2012 No Second Repeat F
Spring 2013 No Third Repeat C
Term  Eligible for funding? Reason Grade
Fall 2012 Yes  First Attempt D
Spring 2013 Yes  First Repeat W
Summer 2013 Yes  First Repeat that Counts C
Fall 2014 No Second Repeat B
Term  Eligible for funding? Reason Grade
Fall 2011 Yes  First Attempt W
Spring 2012 Yes  Not Passed Before F
Fall 2012 Yes  Not Passed Before F
Spring 2013 Yes  Not Passed Before F
Fall 2013 Yes  Not Passed Before C

The repeat coursework rules only apply to undergraduate students. Repeating a course can also impact your Satisfactory Academic Progress status (SAP). All grades count for SAP and all hours attempted and earned count as well. PLEASE NOTE: If you have questions regarding your courses and repeat coursework, please contact your financial aid counselor. The rules for repeat coursework are quite complex and your individual situation will need to be reviewed.


Per federal regulation KSU is required to prorate a dependent or independent undergraduate student's annual Stafford loan limits, when they are enrolled in one semester and will graduate in the same academic year. This mostly will affect students that will graduate from their program of study at the end of the fall term.

Loan Proration Formula:

  • Number of credit hours student enrolled for undergraduate / *Number of credit hours in an academic year (24) X annual Stafford loan limit


Students at KSU are awarded based on estimated full-time enrollment (12 credit hours). Once drop/add ends, the Office of Student Financial Aid adjusts the tuition and fee components in the Cost of Attendance to actual charges. The resulting change in Cost of Attendance can create an over or under award situation and aid is adjusted accordingly.


The Department of Education requires schools to identify the courses that may be included in the calculation of enrollment (Full-time, 3/4-time, 1/2-time, and less than half-time) for award and disbursement of Federal Funds.

  • To summarize, these regulations include the following key points:
  • Courses must count towards the student's degree or certificate 
  • Eligible remedial courses may be included conditionally 
  • ESL courses may be included conditionally 
  • Only one repeat of a previously passed course maybe included 
  • A withdrawal from a course does not count as an attempt of a previously passed course 
  • Courses that must be repeated due to failure of another course cannot be included in enrollment calculation. 
  • ESL courses may be included if part of an eligible program 
  • Courses do not need to be at secondary school level 
  • Do not count towards the one academic year's worth of Remedial/Developmental courses

The Office of Student Financial Aid will review these items prior to payment of federal aid.


Students at KSU are awarded based on their current NSLDS record, which reflects their federal loan borrowing history at the time of receipt. However, the records may not always be accurate due to timing. Therefore, KSU, will conduct a pre-screening process to capture students who may potentially be approaching or exceeding their aggregate loan borrowing limit. The intent is to capture any overawards prior to the disbursement of aid to prevent any unnecessary return of funds. In addition, a post-screening process is conducted to capture any student who may have inadvertently exceeded their aggregate borrowing limit. These students are identified as a result of updated NSLDS records pushed to the institution by the Department of Education. The resulting change in a student’s loan borrowing history can create an overaward and aid will be adjusted accordingly.

Updated March 16, 2022