Return of Title IV Funds Policy

As part of the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, Congress passed provisions governing what must happen to your federal financial assistance if you completely withdraw from all your degree applicable courses in any semester. If a student withdraws from Kennesaw State University or withdraws from all degree applicable courses, then the University or the student may be required to return some of the federal aid and/or HOPE scholarship funds awarded to the student. The student may also be eligible for a refund of a portion of the tuition and fees paid to KSU for the semester.

KSU Withdrawal Process

  • Go to OWL Express.
  • Log in with student NetID and password.
  • Select "Registration and Student Records".
  • Select "Online Withdrawal".
  • Accept term to proceed.
  • Select the class or classes from which to withdraw.
  • Print the confirmation page to confirm withdrawal.

Withdrawing from classes can affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP,) which can adversely affect both state and federal financial aid. Please carefully read our Satisfactory Academic Progress policy so you don't have any surprises when it comes to your financial aid. Financial Aid strongly suggests you go to the Registrar's website to read additional information that may affect you and your grades.

KSU Institutional Refund Policy

The refund amount for students withdrawing from the institution shall be based on a pro rata percentage determined by dividing the number of calendar days in the semester that the student completed by the total calendar days in the semester. The total calendar days in a semester includes weekends, but excludes scheduled breaks of five or more days and days that a student was on an approved leave of absence. The unearned portion will be refunded up to the point in time that the amount earned equals 60%. Students who withdraw from the institution when the calculated percentage of completion is greater than 60% are not entitled to a refund of any portion of institutional charges. (BOR

  • Students will receive refunds only when they withdraw from ALL of their classes and only by the schedule outlined in the University System refund policy. 

  • Students enrolled summer term who withdraw from second-session courses on the first day of those classes will receive a 100% refund. After the first day, no refunds will be processed.

  • Students should refer to the Registrar Academic Calendar webpage for specific dates of each refund period.

  • Students who do not formally withdraw, those suspended for disciplinary reasons, and those who leave the university when disciplinary action is pending are not eligible for a refund on any portion of any fee.

  • A refund of nonresident fees, matriculation fees, and other mandatory fees will be made in the event of the death of a student at any time during an academic semester/summer term. (BOR

Refunds will be disbursed by the university’s internet bank partner. Students may use their Personal Code number received from Card Services to select a refund payment method: electronic fund transfer or paper check at Details are available at

KSU Return of Title IV Federal Aid and HOPE Scholarship Policy

Students are awarded aid under the assumption that they will attend the entire period for which the assistance was awarded. In the event a student receives financial aid, completes registration, and subsequently reduces his/her enrollment status or withdraws, the amount of funds to be returned to federal, state, private or University programs will be in accordance with regulations concerning refunds and repayments to those appropriate programs. If you completely withdraw from school or from all your degree applicable courses during a term, the school must calculate according to a specific formula the portion of the total scheduled financial assistance you have earned and are therefore entitled to receive up to the time you withdraw. If you or KSU receives more assistance than you earn, the unearned excess funds must be returned to the Department of Education or Georgia Student Finance Commission. Also, if you or KSU receives less assistance than the amount you have earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds.

The portion of your federal student aid or HOPE scholarship you are entitled to receive is calculated on a percentage basis by comparing the total number of days in the semester to the number of days you completed before you withdrew. For example, if you complete 30% of the semester, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. This means that 70% of your scheduled awards remain unearned and must be returned to the Department of Education or Georgia Student Finance Commission.

Once you have completed more than 60% of the semester, you have earned all (100%) of your assistance. 

If you received excess funds based on this calculation, KSU must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  • The student’s institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of funds, or
  • The entire amount of the excess funds.

Funds are returned in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  • Subsidized Federal Stafford Loan
  • Federal PLUS Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal SEOG Grant
  • Other Title IV Programs
  • HOPE Scholarship Program

Any refund due to you will be sent according to the preference you selected.  If the calculation results in a return and creates a balance owed to the institution, you will need to make satisfactory payment arrangements with the Office of the Bursar.