An Initial Consultation is your chance to meet with a counselor to develop a plan and determine what supports will help you be most successful.
Our services are free and available to KSU students who are currently enrolled and taking classes.
How to Schedule
Simply stop by our office or give us a call at 470-578-6600. Initial consultation appointments are limited and scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis. We offer virtual and in-person appointments.
In addition to counseling, we have quite a few virtual workshops available that many students find helpful. To learn more, visit our OwlLife page!
If you feel as though you need to speak with someone sooner, we invite you to reach out to Wellbeing@KSU to speak with a counselor.
Wellbeing@KSU - Immediate Support, When and Where You Need It
Everything you need to Find Your Support. The University System of Georgia has partnered with Christie Campus Health to expand the mental health options available to students. Wellbeing@KSU is here to support you with flexible options and tools to help lift you mentally and emotionally.
Are you feeling anxious, depressed, or stressed out? Having trouble with a relationship or going through a loss? Don’t go through it alone. The 24/7 line offers immediate support, regardless of your location, to help you manage your concerns. Common reasons that students call include:
- Feelings of anxiety, depression, or stress
- Relationship problems or worries
- Grief and loss
- Help with coping skills
- Support between therapy sessions
Call the 24/7 support line at 470-578-6600 (select option 2 during business hours) to get in-the-moment support from a counselor.
The day of your appointment
If you schedule a virtual Initial Consultation - You will receive a Microsoft Teams meeting invitation on the morning of your appointment. Included in the invitation will be a link to our online client forms that you must complete prior to your appointment. Once you accept the invitation, you can find it again by logging into MS Teams and viewing your calendar.
If you schedule an in-person Initial Consultation - An email will be sent in the morning with a link to our online forms. Forms MUST be completed prior to your appointment time. You are also welcome to arrive early and complete the forms in our office. They can take 15-20 minutes to complete so please plan accordingly.
Tell us about YOU - You will meet with a counselor for approximately 30 minutes and discuss what will be most helpful for you.
Make a Plan - We always try to recommend a plan that is based on each student's unique needs. We frequently recommend skill-building workshops, group counseling, individual counseling, and off-campus services that may be a better fit.
How should I prepare for a telemental health video session with my counselor? We're glad you asked!
- Make sure you have downloaded Microsoft Teams on a device that has a video camera and microphone. You will log in to Microsoft Teams using your student net id and password.
- Find a private space where you can speak freely and openly without being overheard or interrupted by others. You may need to ask others in your space to respect your privacy by doing things like turning on entertainment in another room or listening to something on headphones.
- You should treat the virtual meeting like you would an in-person meeting. For example, you should be seated comfortably in a chair and dressed and groomed like you were on-campus.
If you are having a mental health crisis
Mental Health Crisis
Students may walk in or call 470-578-6600 for urgent appointments Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:00 am-5:00 pm if they are at an elevated mental health risk, including
- Current or recent thoughts of harm to self or others
- Concerned about the safety of another person
- Experience of a recent trauma
- Experiencing hallucinations, delusions, disorganized thinking and/or behavior, or have been unable to sleep for two or more days.
Please note that per Georgia Law, students under the age of 18 will need parent/guardian consent in order to receive counseling services.
The provision of counseling services is regulated by each state; thus, if you do not reside in Georgia, we will discuss what your state permits us to provide for you.