Our psychiatric clinicians are available to assist students experiencing a wide array of issues, including anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and other mental health concerns.
To obtain psychiatric services at CPS:
- If you are already a CPS client, please discuss a referral with your counselor for a medication evaluation.
- If you are new to CPS, attend a Let’s Hoot Initial Consultation and discuss the need for medication evaluation with a counselor.
You may be referred to the psychiatry staff at CPS, KSU Student Health Services, or Christie Campus’s psychiatry team depending on your specific symptoms.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- CPS does not provide evaluations or medication management for ADHD.
- If you are interested in being evaluated for ADHD, we recommend that you discuss your concerns with an off-campus Primary Care Physician or Psychiatrist. If you need additional assistance with referrals, please contact our Case Management Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Listed below are some off-campus providers that provide neuropsychological evaluation.
- KSU Student Disability Services can facilitate a referral to the Regents Center for Learning Disorders for psychological evaluations. Their website is https://www.kennesaw.edu/dean-of-students/sds/index.php
Our psychiatry staff does not provide an initial diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders. If you would like further evaluation, please contact KSU Student Disability Services and they can facilitate a referral to the Regents Center for Learning Disorders for psychological evaluations. Their website is https://www.kennesaw.edu/dean-of-students/sds/index.php. If you already have a diagnosis with autism, we are able to help manage any specific concerns through medication management.
- CPS does not prescribe benzodiazepine medications and therefore cannot provide continuity of care nor tapering of this class of medication.
Due to the high demand for services, preference for psychiatric appointments is for students who are currently prescribed psychotropic medication and are seeking an adjustment or change in medication. If the current medication regimen is beneficial and no changes are needed, a referral to Student Health Services or Christie Campus will be strongly considered. Convenience is not considered a sufficient reason to transfer psychiatric care to CPS.