Coles Research Highlights
This webpage is designed to share research accomplishments by Coles College faculty during the academic year. This includes Coles College of Business annual research publication -- “Coles Research Magazine."
Coles Research Magazine
This magazine includes brief summaries of the outstanding research projects (both published and ongoing) by Coles College of Business research faculty. It also includes work they are involved with in their capacity as PhD student dissertation committee chairs and members.
Listed below are recipients of research awards instituted by Coles College such as the Distinguished Scholarship Award, Outstanding Impact Journal Publication Award, Best Working Paper Award, to name a few.
Distinguished Scholarship Award
- James Meurs
Financial Times Top 50 Journal Publication Awards
- Birton Cowden for his paper "Straight OUTTA Detroit: Embracing Stigma as Part of the Entrepreneurial Narrative" published in the Journal of Management Studies.
- Divesh Sharma for his paper "Determinants and Consequences of the Severity of Executive Compensation Clawbacks" published in Contemporary Accounting Research.
- Duanping Hong for his paper "Losers of CEO Tournaments: Incentives, Turnover, and Career Outcomes" published in The Accounting Review.
- Hyunju Shin for her paper "CEO’s Childhood Experience of Natural Disaster and CSR Activities" published in the Journal of Business Ethics.
- Patrick van Esch for his paper "Who Cares More About the Environment, Those with an Intrinsic, an Extrinsic, a Quest, or an Atheistic Religious Orientation?: Investigating the Effect of Religious Ad Appeals on Attitudes Toward the Environment" published in the Journal of Business Ethics.
- Shelby Renee Meek for her paper "Entrepreneurship and Subjective vs Objective Institutional Performance: A Decade of US Hospital Data" published in Research Policy.
Distinguished Journal Publication Award
- Prachi Gala for her paper “Exploring the dark side of Integrity: Impact of CEO Integrity on Firms’ Innovativeness, Risk-taking and Proactiveness” published in the European Journal of Marketing.
Outstanding Impact Publication Award
- Dana Hermanson for his paper “The Effect of Alternative Fraud Model Use on Auditors’ Fraud Risk Judgments” published in the Journal of Accounting and Public Policy.
Community Engagement Award
- Dana Hermanson for his work “Letters to the Editor – Wall Street Journal, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and Marietta Daily Journal”.
Summer Research Fellowship
- Joshua Palmer for his work "A Meta-Analytic Examination of the Impact of Leader Age on Leader Effectiveness".
- Yoon Hee Kim for her work "The Effects of GPO Relationships on Hospitals’ Purchasing Performance".
- Zhaoguo Zhan for his work "Misspecification and Weak Identification".
Competitive Grant Award
- Miloslava Plachkinova for her National Security Agency Grant on "Cybersecurity Basic Concept and Cyber Career Pathways: KSU GenCyber School Camp 2022-2024".
Coles Working Paper Awards
- Kelly Ha and Sunay Mutlu for their paper “Do SPAC Combinations Affect Their Peers’ Accounting Quality?”, FALL22-02, November 2022.
- Marcus Caylor, Duanping Hong, Hyungshin Park, and Hong Qu for their paper “Market Reactions to Innovative Firms’ Earnings News”, FALL22-05, November 2022.
- Sergey Lebedev for his paper “Subnational Institutional Differences, R&D-Performance, Relationship, and FDI Spillovers in Russia”, SPRING23-02, March 2023.
- Prachi Gala for her paper “CEO Pay Slice and Firm Value: Is Corporate Social Responsibility a Missing Link?”, SPRING23-03, March 2023.
- Filippo Occhino for his paper “The Macroeconomic Effects of Business Tax Cuts”, SPRING23-04, March 2023.
Coles Working Paper Series Best Reviewer Award
Learn more about our Coles College Working Paper Series.
Attend A Seminar Series
Hear faculty discuss ongoing research in various fields.
Explore Our Research
Our faculty lead innovative research across fields.