SABAC Travel/Event Funding
What is SABAC?
The Student Activities Budget Advisory Committee (SABAC) is an advisory committee made up of students and staff that oversee the distribution, or allocation, of the student activity fee, which is collected from most KSU students. The student activity fee provides financial support for the Kennesaw and Marietta campuses to enrich the co-curricular student experience and provide essential student services, leadership development opportunities, and student wages for student leader positions. SABAC reviews requests from qualified Registered Student Organizations (RSO) and Student Affairs departments with a direct student impact through programming, events, and activities and makes recommendations to the Vice President for Student.
SABAC meets monthly throughout the fall and spring semesters to review event, promotional and travel requests as well as in April to review annual budget requests. More detailed info including the meetings schedule can be found on the SABAC website. The SABAC Protocol Manual outlines the purpose, membership, operating procedures, and allocation process. All requesters are advised to review the protocol manual prior to submitting inquiries to email@example.com.How to request funding
Frequently Asked Questions
- What can the funds be used for?
Funds can be used for items to promote the registered student organization, department, a program/event, or travel. Travel must be related to the purpose and/or functions of that organization and provide direct benefit not only to the individual student(s) traveling, but also a greater benefit to the broader student body and the university.
- What travel expenses are eligible for funding?
Eligible travel expenses include registration, lodging, and transportation. Transportation can include airfare, vehicle rental, and ridesharing services. Parking and meals are ineligible expenses.
- What is the criterion for a program/event to be funded?
Events must take place on campus, be open to all KSU students and be promoted on Owl Life.
- What are some examples of eligible expenses for a program/event?
Promotional items, giveaways, food, equipment rental, vendor services, security, and speaker fees or honorariums are some eligible expenses for a program/event.
- How do I submit a request for SABAC to purchase items for my event?
First, RSOs must submit a purchase request within Owl Life to utilize annual and supplemental funding. Refer to the Purchase Request user guide for more information. Log into Owl Life Plan your event or travel, being sure to get quotes/estimates and all details for your event/travel. RSOs will not receive funding directly. SABAC will manage the approved funding and make purchases on behalf of the RSO.
- How do I submit a supplemental request to be reviewed by SABAC?
All supplemental requests must be submitted in Owl Life. (https://owllife.kennesaw.edu/)
- When can my RSO submit a request for annual funding?
RSO’s can submit a request for annual funding in March and the deadline to submit is noon on the last Friday in March.
- I submitted a travel request that is scheduled to take place two weeks after the supplemental meeting, but it was denied. It met the criteria for eligible expenses, why was it denied?
Travel requests must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the departure date. It is recommended that supplemental funding travel requests be submitted at least two months prior to the travel date.
- I submitted a purchase request to pay for a speaker to come to campus in 4 weeks, but it was denied. Why was it denied?
Speaking requests must have a signed lecture agreement on file. The agreement review process can take up to 6 weeks. It is recommended for speaker requests to be submitted at least 90 days prior to the event date.
- How soon after SABAC approves my supplemental request can I submit a purchase request for my organization’s event?
Within 24 hours after receiving the budget approval notification in Owl Life, an RSO can submit a purchase request to utilize the approved funds.
- What are some common reasons requests are denied?
Requests for funding can be denied for lack of completeness with answering questions, late submissions, or requesting ineligible items.
- My organization is new to campus. How do I request startup funds for my organization?
Complete the Start-up Fund request form in Owl Life
- For SABAC approved travel, are there any specific requirements I/my RSO must complete?
Submit a purchase request for travel expenses at least 30 days prior to your departure date. Complete the Travel Form in Owl Life.
- How do I get reimbursed for an eligible expense?
It is rare for members of an RSO to purchase SABAC approved items using personal funds. Members should not make any personal out of pocket purchases without written instructions to do so by SABAC. First, submit a purchase request for the approved item. Once approved, SABAC may inform you, in writing, to purchase the item(s) out of your personal funds and the steps you need complete to receive your reimbursement.
- I have class at the time of the supplemental meeting, do I need to come to the meeting?
No, you are not required to be present at the meeting. However, it is encouraged for you or a representative from your RSO to be present to answer any questions. If SABAC has questions and there is no representative to answer, SABAC will assess your request on the submission which may impact the recommended approval amount.
- If I choose to come to the supplemental meeting, what do I need to come prepared to do?
If you or a representative from your RSO choose to come to the meeting, they should be knowledgeable about the request, provide any updates or supporting documentation. It is encouraged to prepare a PowerPoint presentation summarizing your request with the details. Here are a couple examples:
- Do you have any tips or suggestions for receiving funding?
Be familiar with the SABAC Protocol Manual and if your request is an eligible expense. Plan and submit requests at least 30 days in advance of the event/travel date. SABAC funds are meant to serve the entire KSU student community, and RSOs are encouraged to seek additional funding outside of SABAC