Counseling Frequently Asked Questions

  • Personal counseling is focused on the emotional, psychological, spiritual, and physical issues impacting one’s ability to function at a normal level. Typical issues include depression, stress, anxiety, relationship issues, self-esteem, anger management, grief and loss and many more.

    Academic counseling is designed to help students discover how to achieve their desired academic goals. It helps them become self-directed learners by developing effective skills for college success. Common topics are time management, study skills, test anxiety and testing strategies.

    Career counseling is designed to help students evaluate their abilities, talents, and personality characteristics in developing realistic academic and career goals. Decisions such as deciding what major you want, what kind of career you would be best suited for, and what careers warrant further investigation.

    However, CPS does NOT offer court-mandated or forensically oriented services to Kennesaw State University students, faculty or staff.

  • Students who would like to begin counseling or who need to consult with a counselor can stop by or call our office during business hours (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm) to schedule an appointment.  


    Kennesaw Office:  Kennesaw Hall, room 2401

    Marietta Office:  JoeMack Wilson Student Center, room A170

    More details about your first appointment can be found on our Initial Consultation page. 

  • Generally the information you share with a counselor will not be disclosed to anyone else without your written permission. Limits or exceptions to confidentiality include . . .
    • Imminent risk of harm to yourself or someone else.
    • Suspicion of abuse to a child (minor) or someone who is elderly.
    • Court Order.
  • You can expect to work with a mental health professional who will assist you in identifying the areas in your life where you want to make changes and improvements. Your initial meeting will focus on determining the services most likely be of help to you. A variety of options are often recommended, including skill-building workshops, individual or group counseling, case management, medication evaluation, or referral to off-campus treatment. Most students are seen for 4-6 sessions. Group counseling services are unlimited. Students needing longer-term or more intensive treatment than CPS provides may be referred to off-campus providers.
  • For immediate 24/7 mental health support, call 833-646-1526.  Click on our Emergency page for more information.
  • TeleMental Health means the mode of delivering services via technology-assisted media, such as but not limited to, a telephone, video, internet, a smartphone, tablet, PC desktop system or other electronic means using appropriate encryption technology for electronic health information. TeleMental Health facilitates client self-management and support for clients and includes synchronous interactions and asynchronous store and forward transfers. (Georgia Code 135-11-.01)

    video conferencing in Microsoft Teams is encrypted and HIPAA compliant, which means that your session will remain secure and confidential.

    While telemental health sessions have their limitations, the data suggests that telemental health is effective for diagnosis and assessment across many populations (adult, child, geriatric, and ethnic) and for disorders in many settings (emergency, home health) and appears to be comparable to in-person care. However, your clinician will be able to discuss with you whether you are an appropriate fit for telemental health and provide you with other resources as needed.

  • You and the counselor will determine how many sessions are needed to get you headed in the right direction toward your life goals.  

    Most students are seen for 4-6 sessions. Group counseling services are unlimited. Students needing longer-term or more intensive treatment than CPS provides may be referred to off-campus providers.

  • Counseling typically works best when you are able to work with the same counselor over the course of your visits. Nevertheless, we understand that scheduling and other forms of conflict may arise and result in a desire to change counselors. Counselor change requests can be made by completing an online form in our office.  Our Associate Director will review the request and contact you about making a change.
  • Counseling and Psychological Services does not provide consultations or support documentation for emotional support animals (ESAs). 

    KSU Service and Emotional Support Animals on Campus Policy

    ESA documentation is typically only helpful for housing and travel-related situations, which is distinguishable from service animals. 

    Most off-campus providers are able to offer these services. Visit our off-campus referral database: 


    We recommend that you contact a couple of providers to confirm if they are willing to provide ESA consultation/ documentation, how many sessions, and what price.  

    There are also some online services that provide ESA consultation and documentation, although they tend not to be as reputable:

    If you live off-campus and are renting, you would need to contact your landlord for their ESA documentation requirements.

  • CPS does not provide documentation for any purpose that falls outside of supporting the academic mission of KSU. This includes documentation to assist with complying with legal mandates, such as court mandated anger management, substance abuse assessment, treatment or evaluation, child custody evaluations, domestic violence counseling or the fulfillment of probation or parole requirements.

    CPS staff does not provide letters at the time of an initial consultation and cannot provide documentation regarding a student's mental health without a history of services at CPS during the specified time period.  If necessary, students are encouraged to seek letters of support from professionals directly involved in their care such as past or present psychological/psychiatric providers, or medical health providers. 

  • Check out our OwlLife Page for all events.
  • Our psychiatric clinicians are available to assist students experiencing a wide array of issues, including anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and other mental health concerns.

    To obtain psychiatric services at CPS:

    • If you are already a CPS client, please discuss a referral with your counselor for a medication evaluation.
    • If you are new to CPS, attend an Initial Consultation and discuss the need for medication evaluation with a counselor.

    You may be referred to the psychiatry staff at CPS, KSU Student Health Services, or UPsych psychiatry team depending on your specific symptoms.

  • ThrivingCampus is an online directory for KSU students to access a list of off-campus, licensed mental health clinicians that provide outpatient services in the Atlanta metro community. See the below video for more information and click on the link above to get started.