Keeping Sights Upward Journey Honors College
Retention, Probation, and Progression Policies
In order to remain in good standing with KSU Journey Honors College, honors students must:
- Demonstrate progress in completing Honors curricular requirements for graduation with desired designation by completing at least one Honors Learning Experience (HLE) per academic year.
- Schedule and attend an advising meeting with an Honors Academic Advisor in the fall and spring semesters of each year.
- Complete the Introduction to Honors (HON 1000 or HON 1100) requirement within their first two semesters enrolled in KSU Journey Honors College.
GPA to Remain in Good Standing
Ineligible: Below 3.0
Policy on HLE Requirements
Students are required to complete a minimum of one Honors Learning Experience (HLE) per academic year. HLEs are not required in the summer, but can be taken in order to catch up or bank an HLE. Students can take more than one HLE in a semester. The maximum number of HLEs students can complete in one semester is at the discretion of KSU Journey Honors College Academic Advisors. A student unable to meet the participation requirement will be placed on Probation for Non-Participation.
Honors students can store one or more HLEs in the bank to use in a future term toward completion of an HLE requirement. Only one banked HLE can be used per academic year.
Introduction to Honors
- Honors students must complete the Introduction to Honors requirement (HON 1000 or HON 1100) within the first two semesters of joining KSU Journey Honors College.
- Students must obtain a grade of B or higher to continue in KSU Journey Honors College.
Students may be placed on Honors probation for academic reasons or for non-participation.
- A student whose institutional GPA falls between 3.0-3.24 will be notified that they are on academic probation.
- Students on Honors academic probation may remain in the college as long as each successive semester's GPA is 3.25 or higher.
- Students on Honors academic probation do not lose early registration privileges.
Probation for Non-Participation
- A student who does not complete at least one Honors Learning Experience (HLE) per academic year, and does not have one banked, will be notified that they are on probation for non-participation.
- A student who does not schedule and attend an advising meeting with an Honors Academic Advisor for two consecutive semesters will be notified that they are on probation for non-participation.
- In order to regain good standing, students must complete an HLE in the probationary semester.
- If a student does not make up the missing HLE within two semesters, they will be ineligible to continue in the Honors College.
A student whose institutional GPA falls below a 3.0 will be dropped from the KSU Journey Honors College without a probationary period but may petition for readmission when the institutional GPA has reached the required minimum.
If a student’s academic performance is adversely affected by non-academic problems (illness, accident, etc.) after the Last Day to Withdraw [from classes] without Academic Penalty (see the KSU Schedule of Classes for each term), the student should contact his/her instructor to discuss the possibility of receiving an Incomplete, or if withdrawal is necessary, the student should contact the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and the Associate Dean of KSU Journey Honors College regarding options for medical withdrawals from courses. Documented non-academic problems resulting from an emergency will be given consideration for extension of the Honors probationary period.
Failure to comply with KSU codes of conduct can/will result in dismissal from Honors.
Introduction to Honors
Honors students who do not complete the Introduction to Honors requirement (HON 1000 or HON 1100) within the first two semesters of joining the KSU Journey Honors College will be dismissed. When Introduction to Honors is taken, students must obtain a grade of B or higher to continue in KSU Journey Honors College.
Any student who has been removed from the KSU Journey Honors College may petition for readmission after the requirements for readmission have been met. Students who wish to be reinstated must have an institutional GPA of 3.25 or higher.
To apply for reinstatement to KSU Journey Honors College, please fill out the Honors Reinstatement Request Form.
In order to remain in good standing with the PEGS program, students must maintain a minimum 3.5 KSU institutional GPA, complete the ten-hour service requirement (per semester), and fulfill PEGS program requirements for academic achievement and leadership development.
- PEGS students with a GPA between 3.25 and 3.5 will be on PEGS probation, but in good standing with KSU Journey Honors College.
- PEGS students with a GPA between 3.0 and 3.25 will be on probation with PEGS and KSU Journey Honors College.
- PEGS students with a GPA below 3.0 GPA OR those who do not remain in good standing with KSU Journey Honors College will be unable to attend trips abroad and will forfeit any trip deposit already paid.