Business Intelligence Certificate
The Business Intelligence (BI) Graduate Certificate Program at Kennesaw State University can be pursued as a standalone certificate program or concurrently with the evening MBA program and the MSIS program. This program will introduce students to a set of methodologies, processes, and technologies that transform data into useful insights that inform business decisions. Specifically, it will equip students with a wide variety of tools that enable them to
- Examine structured and unstructured data
- Collect data from internal systems and external sources
- Prepare data for analysis
- Develop and run queries against that data
- Create reports, dashboards, and data visualizations
- Simulate real-world systems
- Evaluate what-if scenarios and determine appropriate improvement strategies.
Then, through various applications, the students learn how to present the analytics to corporate decision-makers and operational managers for the development of tactical, operational, and strategic plans.
Benefits of Business Intelligence (BI)
- Improve decision making
- Optimize internal processes
- Increase operational efficiency
- Identify market trends
- Drive new revenue sources
- Gain competitive advantages over rivals
- Identify business problems that need to be addressed
Who should pursue this certificate?
- MSIS, MBA, or the MBA-MSIS dual students who are working towards more senior Business Intelligence positions but lack the certification, degree, or related experience from their current job.
- Less experienced professionals who want to advance their ability to develop data-driven solutions.
- Entrepreneurs and small business owners who desire to learn data-driven business analysis and strategic decision-making processes and skills.
- Business undergrad seniors, as well as, undergraduate seniors from STEM programs who desire to be BI analysts.
- Ranked among the best business schools in the nation.
- Ph.D. faculty who are researchers and maintain close ties to the world of business.
- Provide the student with hands-on experience solving business problems.
- Strong emphasis on applications in business through directed projects and case-based teaching methodology.
- These courses cater primarily to the needs and requirements of managerial decision-making skills.
- Emphasis on skillsets expected in the market: Business Intelligence, Innovation/Emerging Technologies, Information Security, Business Analysis, etc.
- Analyst: Analyst jobs in business intelligence involve examining and analyzing data sets.
- Project Manager (PM): PMs lead key tasks for an organization and oversee all other members of the team. A BI project manager is likely to finalize reports and make recommendations based on results.
- Director of Business Intelligence: The director researches data solutions, trains staff members on how to use BI tools and handles personnel decisions for the department.
- CEO or CFO: The BI background prepares C-Suite personnel to make key budget and operations decisions.
- BI Developer: The developers look to provide solutions for improved data management and data integration. Business intelligence developers operate with specialized software and understand the top software solutions for big data purposes.
- Consultant: The business intelligence consultant analyzes different facets (expenditures, employee
retention, revenue, etc.) of the organization and make recommendations.
- Government offices are often in need of both BI analysts and consultants.
- Research: Researchers collect and study data in a controlled environment. Researchers identify more efficient ways to mine and analyze data sets. Researchers are hired with a Master's degree in BI or a Master's degree with a specialization in BI but may choose to advance their careers with a doctoral degree.
Start Date: Summer and Fall of each year
Application Deadline: April 1 (Summer) and July 1 (Fall)
Semester Course Fall ECON 7710 and ECON 7750 Spring ECON 7730 and IS 7935 Summer ECON 7710 and ECON 7770
Certificate Duration: 1 year
Approximate Cost: $7,300
Course Descriptions Request Information Apply Now