Raspberry Pi Jump Start
I Just Got a Raspberry Pi — What Do I do?
First, follow the advice of Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic!
We'll walk through the steps from opening the box to a running Pi. After that, you're on your own, and the sky's the limit!
Gather the Stuff You'll Need
If all you have is the Raspberry Pi you will have to collect more stuff. Our Raspberry Pi shopping list can help with that. Here's what you'll need:
- Access to a desktop or laptop computer, MacOS or Windows.
- Access to a network connection, wired or wireless.
- A microSD card; 16 GB is plenty, be sure to get Class 10.
- A USB adapter for that microSD card.
- A Raspberry Pi Computer.
- A power supply for your Pi; be sure what you get matches the Pi you have.
- A USB keyboard and mouse
- An HDMI monitor with cable, or some other monitor and adapter cable.
- A case for your Pi (optional)
- Maybe a parts kit (optional)
The microSD card stands in for a hard disk for your Pi. Think of it as a tiny solid-state disk.