On the Job Injuries

All University employees are covered by state Workers' Compensation laws that may provide medical and income benefits if you are injured on the job. Below provides a brief overview of the steps you should follow if you are injured or become ill while working. Watch this online video for instructions on how to report an On the Job injury. A detailed procedure and further information is available below. 

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact your HR Coordinator or call Human Resources at 470-578-6030 between the hours of 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. 

Faculty or Staff filling out and online workers compensation for using an ipad

Steps To Report an On the Job Injury

  • In an emergency situation, seek immediate medical treatment.

    If this is a life-threatening emergency, notify Public Safety at extension 6666 or 470-578-6666.

    Public Safety will dispatch an ambulance and direct it to your location. Or emergency medical care should be sought at the nearest emergency room.

    The emergency room closest to KSU is Kennestone Hospital located at 677 Church Street, Marietta, GA 30060, 770-793-5000.

    Directions: 75 South to Exit 267B (GA-5 S) towards Marietta, merge onto GA 5 South towards Church Street, continue .9 miles to Kennestone

    If urgent care is needed!

    A Police Officer will direct you to the Wellstar Clinic located at 3805 Cherokee Street in Kennesaw, 770-426-5665.

    This is the only approved location for a non-emergency initial visit. Please make sure to tell clinic staff you are a KSU employee seeking treatment under Worker's Comp.

    In a non-emergency situation

    Please skip to 'Step Two' and complete the Employee Report of Injury/Illness before seeking medical attention.

    Important Note:

    Except in emergency or urgent care situations, medical care must first be authorized through Worker's Comp. and you will be referred to a Worker's Comp. approved physician. Failure to use the Worker's Comp. physician will jeopardize payment of your medical bills under Worker's Comp. insurance.

  • After seeking medical treatment, or if not an emergency situation, the employee must complete an Employee Report of Injury/Illness within 24 hours of the incident if possible using the university’s online incident reporting tool in EtQ Reliance (use your NetID and password). 
  • Human Resources will file the workers’ compensation claim and make initial contact with the Workers’ Compensation Managed Care Organization (WC/MCO). Human Resources will provide the employee with the worker’s compensation claim number and the MCO’s contact information. The employee will contact the MCO to provide further information regarding their injury/illness and to receive information regarding the AMERISYS, INC. network of providers.

    Your case manager will direct you to the physician(s) you need to see to be covered under the Workers' Comp. insurance.

    If you are out of work for more than 5 days due to the injury, you will be placed on a leave of absence from the university. HR will provide you information about your leave and what you need to do to continue your benefits. Workers' Comp. leave runs concurrent with FMLA Leave.

  • Employees are required to receive all medical care through the AMERISYS, INC. network of providers. Failure to use the network physicians will jeopardize payment of medical bills under Workers' compensation and the employee may be personally liable