Financial Aid and Graduate Research Assistantships

Graduate Research Assistantship Information

Opportunities to serve as a GRA or GTA vary by year and inquiries should be directed to the program director. Assistantship assignments are with individual faculty members, in one of our research labs, or assisting with course instruction both within and outside of our department. 

Frequently Asked Questions

  • The best place to begin is by marking your graduate application regarding your interest in a GRA position. Also, you can check on availability by asking the Graduate Program Director.

    All GRA position openings are posted on KSU’s Human Resources website. GRA positions are normally posted around June and also October.

  • Based on Graduate College guidelines, a student must

    • have completed the requirements for an undergraduate degree
    • have applied for and been fully accepted to a graduate degree program of study
    • have maintained a 3.0 grade point average in any previous/current graduate course work
    • have maintained a 3.0 grade point average in any previous undergraduate course work if a first semester graduate program student
    • be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours
    • have a social security number. International students with an F-1 visa are required to provide a copy of their current visa documentation as well as their current I-20 form, complete with a work authorization stamp from the Office of International Services and Programs.  International students must have a social security number prior to being hired
  • GRAs are assigned to exercise science labs for up to 20 hours per week for 17 weeks (per semester). GRAs cannot be employed in another position on the KSU campus.
  • GRAs receive a stipend and a tuition waiver for up to 12 credits per semester depending on their tier.
  • There are a limited number of summer GRA positions. Please contact the graduate Program Director for further information.
  • Yes. There are limited waivers for out of state students to pay the in-state tuition rates. Please contact the graduate Program Director for more information and potential availability.


For more financial aid options, please visit Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.