Make it Count!

You need to meet with your advisor and plan your schedule for each semester.

1. Officially Declare Your Major

It is essential that your major is officially declared and noted in your student record. If you have been planning to declare or change a major, but have not yet done so, you should consult with your academic advisor immediately to make the official declaration.

Courses can only be determined to be eligible based on the officially declared major as noted in your student record.

The Department of Education states, “A major is considered a program while minors are not considered to be programs of study for Title IV purposes.  Unlike majors, minors are not usually required for a student to complete a degree program.”

New guidance indicates the following: “…coursework that applies ONLY to a minor, and does not meet any other requirements for a degree (general education, electives, etc.), cannot be included in a student’s enrollment status.”

2. Financial Aid Awards and Disbursement

Financial aid awards are based on the assumption that students will enroll full-time and graduate students will enroll half-time in eligible coursework during the fall and spring semesters.

It is important to understand that the cost of your courses will still be the same, but your Financial Aid will be prorated based on the applicable coursework.

3. Keep Your Eligibility

Remember that dropping or not attending your courses can negatively impact your eligibility for current and or future aid.

4. Communicate - often!

You must discuss your Program of Study with your advisor when you enroll for next semester’s classes. If your current program is not correct, work with your advisor to make the appropriate changes to your major or minor.

Contact your Financial Aid counselor to discuss options if your federal financial aid has been reduced due to enrollment in courses that did not apply to outstanding requirements in your Course Program of Study.

Students receiving federal financial aid are welcome to take classes that are not required for their Program of Study. However, you will need to pay for those classes out-of-pocket or with non-federal financial aid.

Your Checklist

  • Check your DegreeWork to be sure your major(s) are correctly declared.
  • See your advisor to be sure you are registering for classes that fulfill an outstanding requirement.
  • Check your Financial Aid tab in Owl Express for updates to your financial aid.