Major, Minor and Certificate Declaration

Changing or Declaring Majors, Minors, and Stand-Alone Certificates

You should declare a major as soon as possible so that you can be assigned an academic advisor. Your academic advisor will help you expedite your progress toward graduation and assist you in preparing for a career. If you are an undergraduate student and would like to declare or change your major, minor, stand-alone certificate or concentration, submit your request through Owl Express using the “Declare or Change Major/Minor” link under the Student Records tab.

If you are a graduate student considering changing your program and/or major, please contact Graduate Admissions.

How to Change Your Major

To change your major or to declare a minor, follow these simple steps to navigate to the Change Major Portal:

  1. Login to your Owl Express account
  2. Click on the Student Records tab
  3. Click the link “Declare or Change Major/Minor.”
  4. Click on “change” in the “Primary Program” section if you are declaring a new major.
  5. Click “add” in the minor section or “Secondary Program” section to declare a second major/certificate.
  6. You will be redirected to the list of available programs
    1. Online majors are highlighted in Green
  7. Click “select” beside the new program you are interested in.
    1. If your major requires a concentration, you will be asked to choose on the next page. Click “select” to move forward.
  8. You will be taken back to the main page, where you can monitor that status at the bottom of the page under “Request Information.”

If you decide that was not the major you intended, you have the ability to Cancel your pending request in the “Request Information” section. Here you can also see any notes from the academic department if your request was declined.

Note for New Students: Major changes impact your housing selections (Marietta campus versus Kennesaw campus) if you are going to be living in on-campus housing.